10 years of the Minor Planet Mailing List

  • Richard Kowalski
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
      I was just discussing things past with my girlfriend and the question
      came up as to what I was doing 10 years ago. I realized that 10 years
      and 1 month ago, I started the Minor Planet Mailing List.

      Inspired by a post to the AAVSO list by Brian Skiff, describing the
      number and type of observations they had made in May, 2008 with
      LONEOS, I started this list on my now defunct website, bitnik.com.

      Within a week of start up, Brian Marsden & Gareth Williams had placed
      an announcement about the start of the list in an Editorial MPEC.
      Because of this, before the end of the first month we had over 100
      members, rapidly becoming THE source of common communication within
      the minor planet community, amateur & professional.

      A lot has happened in those 10 years; Membership has swelled to over
      1300, there have been tens of thousands of interesting and
      informative posts. Along with this we've had numerous worldwide &
      regional amateur-professional workshops, and MPML has been
      instrumental in many new friendships being formed, opportunities
      being realized, new careers started and that's just scratching the
      surface. There has been so much more!

      My undying thanks and gratitude to all who have made MPML what it is,
      has been and what it will continue to be for years to come.

      Richard Kowalski

    • Richard Kowalski
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
        Opps.

        Brian Skiff's message was in 1998.

        Richard

        On Jul 21, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Richard Kowalski wrote:

        > I was just discussing things past with my girlfriend and the question
        > came up as to what I was doing 10 years ago. I realized that 10 years
        > and 1 month ago, I started the Minor Planet Mailing List.
        >
        > Inspired by a post to the AAVSO list by Brian Skiff, describing the
        > number and type of observations they had made in May, 2008 with
        > LONEOS, I started this list on my now defunct website, bitnik.com.
        >

        > Within a week of start up, Brian Marsden & Gareth Williams had placed
        > an announcement about the start of the list in an Editorial MPEC.
        > Because of this, before the end of the first month we had over 100
        > members, rapidly becoming THE source of common communication within
        > the minor planet community, amateur & professional.
        >
        > A lot has happened in those 10 years; Membership has swelled to over
        > 1300, there have been tens of thousands of interesting and
        > informative posts. Along with this we've had numerous worldwide &
        > regional amateur-professional workshops, and MPML has been
        > instrumental in many new friendships being formed, opportunities
        > being realized, new careers started and that's just scratching the
        > surface. There has been so much more!
        >

        > My undying thanks and gratitude to all who have made MPML what it is,
        > has been and what it will continue to be for years to come.
        >

        > Richard Kowalski

        Richard