2001 SN263

  • Lance Benner
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
      Electronic Telegram No. 1254
      Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
      INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
      M.S. 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
      CBAT@... (science)
      URL http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html

      (153591) 2001 SN_263
      M. C. Nolan, E. S. Howell, Arecibo Observatory; L. A. M. Benner,
      S. J. Ostro, and J. D. Giorgini, Jet Propulsion Laboratory; M. W. Busch,
      California Institute of Technology; L. M. Carter and R. F. Anderson,
      Smithsonian Institution; C. Magri, University of Maine; D. B. Campbell and
      J. L. Margot, Cornell University; and R. Vervack, Johns Hopkins University,
      report that Arecibo radar delay-Doppler images (2380 MHz, 12.6 cm) obtained
      on 2008 Feb. 12 show that minor planet (153591) is a triple system.
      Based on range extents at 75-m resolution, preliminary estimates of average
      diameters are 2 km, 1 km, and 400 m for the three components.

      NOTE: These 'Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams' are sometimes
      superseded by text appearing later in the printed IAU Circulars.

      (C) Copyright 2008 CBAT
      2008 February 12 (CBET 1254) Daniel W. E. Green
    • Luca Buzzi
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
        Lance,
        great job, congratulations!
        Are there any other triple systems known among minor planets?

        Regards,
        Luca Buzzi
        # 204

[...]

        20.12
      • Matson, Robert D.
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
          87 Sylvia? Don't know if that's the only other known example.
          In any case, terrific job, Lance! --Rob

[...]

          08/02/2008
          20.12

        • Sergio Foglia
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
            Hello

            congratulations for the outstanding results to Lance et al. !

            about triple asteroid system I remember (87) Sylvia (http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2005/08/10_sylvia.shtml)

            Sincerely

            Sergio Foglia

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
              Excluding TNOs and Plutinos, I believe 2001 SN263 is the third triple:

              45 Eugenia, Petit-Prince, S/2004 (45) 1
              87 Sylvia, Romulus, Remus

              However, in the case of 2001 SN263 the "satellites" are much closer in
              size to the primary. I wonder how stable the configuration is? Seems
              to me the orbits would be chaotic. Are the two largest components
              closest together, with their barycenter orbited at a greater distance
              by the small third component? --Rob
            • Lance Benner
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
                Folks,

                I want to point out that this discovery was made by Mike Nolan at
                Arecibo, not by me. Mike is the PI on these observations and is listed
                as first author on the MPEC that came out earlier today.

                Regards,

                Lance Benner
              • Dave Tholen
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
                  > Are there any other triple systems known among minor planets?

                  Sylvia was already mentioned.

                  Pluto is, of course, a quadruple system.
                • Franck Marchis
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2008
                    Lance,

                    2001 SN263 is the first triple system discovered by radar observation
                    and the first triple known in the NEA population. Congratulation to
                    the radar team!

                    As a reminder, we know 3 triple systems and 1 quadruple.
                    In the main belt
                    (87) Sylvia was the first discovered triple system announced in
                    August 2005 using Adaptive Optics at the VLT
                    http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iauc/08500/08582.html and our Nature paper

                    (45) Eugenia is also a triple system (announced in Feb 2007)
                    discovered by our team using Adaptive Optics at the VLT
                    http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iauc/08800/08817.html

                    in the TNO population
                    Brown et al . announced the discovery of a second companion around
                    2003 El61 in Dec 2005 using Adaptive Optics and LGS at Keck Observatory
                    http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iauc/08600/08636.html

                    (134430) Pluto is a quadruple system. Its two moonlets were
                    discovered using HST by Weaver et al. and announced in Oct 2005
                    http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iauc/08600/08625.html#Item1

                    The scale for all these triple systems is quite different (size of
                    the primary and the companions, separation), so their origin and
                    evolution should be different as well. More triple are coming and
                    will be announced soon...

                    regards
                    F.

                  • Raoul Behrend
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                      Hello All,

                      Congratulations for this triple asteroid !

                      Unfortunately, the CBET dosen't mention that this asteoid was already described
                      on 2007-01-15 as a possible binary, based on non stable lightcurve on
                      http://obswww.unige.ch/~behrend/page5cou.html#0f3591 - observations by
                      Jean Strajnik, Aline Lebras, Amélie Malpot, Marion Melani, Arthur Thenon,
                      Philippe Soudrain, Raoul Behrend at the Haute-Provence Observatory, France !

                      Kindest regards, R. Behrend

                      > Electronic Telegram No. 1254
                      > Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams
                      > INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION
                      > M.S. 18, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
                      > CBAT@... (science)
                      > URL http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/iau/cbat.html
                      >

                      > (153591) 2001 SN_263
                      > M. C. Nolan, E. S. Howell, Arecibo Observatory; L. A. M. Benner,
                      > S. J. Ostro, and J. D. Giorgini, Jet Propulsion Laboratory; M. W. Busch,
                      > California Institute of Technology; L. M. Carter and R. F. Anderson,
                      > Smithsonian Institution; C. Magri, University of Maine; D. B. Campbell and
                      > J. L. Margot, Cornell University; and R. Vervack, Johns Hopkins University,
                      > report that Arecibo radar delay-Doppler images (2380 MHz, 12.6 cm) obtained
                      > on 2008 Feb. 12 show that minor planet (153591) is a triple system.
                      > Based on range extents at 75-m resolution, preliminary estimates of average
                      > diameters are 2 km, 1 km, and 400 m for the three components.
                      >

                      > NOTE: These 'Central Bureau Electronic Telegrams' are sometimes
                      > superseded by text appearing later in the printed IAU Circulars.
                      >
                      > (C) Copyright 2008 CBAT
                      > 2008 February 12 (CBET 1254) Daniel W. E. Green
                    • andrew_j_walker
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008

                        > The scale for all these triple systems is quite different (size of
                        > the primary and the companions, separation), so their origin and
                        > evolution should be different as well. More triple are coming and
                        > will be announced soon...
                        >
                        > regards
                        > F.

                        Perhaps you can tell us if they are systems waiting to be confirmed or
                        if they are just waiting for publication, and if they are near earth or
                        further out? Should be interesting either way!

                        Andrew
                      • Don Galt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                          For those interested here is a list of multiples.

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asteroid_moons

                          --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, Dave Tholen <tholen@...> wrote:

                          > > Are there any other triple systems known among minor planets?
                          >
                          > Sylvia was already mentioned.
                          >
                          > Pluto is, of course, a quadruple system.

                        • Dave Herald
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                            While that is a useful list, it is not up-to-date. A _quick_ check shows that at least the following are not included:

                            2007 DT103
                            2006 VV2
                            148780
                            160256
                            164121

                            Also, 1990 OS hasn't been renumbered as 162000.

                            Dave Herald
                            Canberra, Australia

                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                              Here is a more up to date list Dave.

                              http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/astro/asteroidmoons.html

                              --- In mpml@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Herald" <drherald@...> wrote:

                              > While that is a useful list, it is not up-to-date. A _quick_ check
                              shows that at least the following are not included:

                              > 2007 DT103
                              > 2006 VV2
                              > 148780
                              > 160256
                              > 164121
                              >
                              > Also, 1990 OS hasn't been renumbered as 162000.
                              >

                              > Dave Herald
                              > Canberra, Australia

                            • Roger Dymock
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                                Some lists of binary asteroids I have come across;

                                http://borg.astro.umd.edu/~dwb/asteroid/index.php

                                http://hea.iki.rssi.ru/~denis/doublemp.html

                                http://www.imcce.fr/page.php?nav=fr/ephemerides/donnees/binast

                                http://astro.berkeley.edu/~fmarchis/Science/Asteroids/

                                Regards

                                Roger Dymock
                                Director Asteroids and Remote Planets Section, British Astronomical
                                Association
                                Email: roger.dymock@...
                                Tel: 023 92647986
                                MPC Observatory Code: 940
                                BAA ARPS website: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roger.dymock/index.htm

                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                                  Thanks for these references - which I'm already aware of.

                                  I have a particular interest with binary asteroids - in the context of asteroid occultation predictions. For that purpose I maintain my own file of binary asteroids - so that relevant events can be flagged. My collection includes as much information as possible relevant to ascertaining the relative positions - but for the vast majority the only info available is period and size ratio. There are a small number where basic orbital parameters are available. But the number where there is sufficient info to predict a relative position is only about 6.

                                  In maintaining my dataset, the problems I experience are:
                                  * it is hard to get a location that has all the required info. Sometimes you have to extract what is needed from several sources; and
                                  * general problem of maintaining the info up-to-date - including general inability to access the info in a convenient machine-readable manner. [The web sites present lots of info in visually interesting ways - but require serious parsing efforts to extract data for machine use.

                                  Dave Herald
                                  Canberra, Australia

                                  > While that is a useful list, it is not up-to-date. A _quick_ check
                                  shows that at least the following are not included:

                                  > 2007 DT103
                                  > 2006 VV2
                                  > 148780
                                  > 160256
                                  > 164121
                                  >
                                  > Also, 1990 OS hasn't been renumbered as 162000.
                                  >

                                  > Dave Herald
                                  > Canberra, Australia

                                • Mike Nolan
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 13, 2008
                                    All,

                                    There are some preliminary radar images of 2001 SN263 at

                                    http://www.naic.edu/~pradar/asteroids/2001SN263/

                                    I apologise for the quality of the web page, but the images are
                                    cool...

                                    -Mike Nolan and the Radar Gang

                                    --
                                    Mike Nolan +1 787 878 2612x334 Fax: +1 787 878 1861 nolan@...
                                    Arecibo Observatory, HC 3 Box 53995, Arecibo, Puerto Rico 00612 USA