Re:Planetary-asteroidal collisions?

  • Pier Luigi Turrini
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 11:53 PM
      Well,

      you can have a look at the Neodys pages, where occasionally some
      close encounter with planets and/or Ceres and Vesta are reported.

      Very likely it is a side-effect of search for close encounters with
      Earth, because for such a search they have funds. No funds to protect
      Mars (the only place where you have a chance to witness an impact and
      survive...

      http://newton.dm.unipi.it/cgi-bin/neodys/neoibo?objects_list:0;main

      this is a clear sample:

      http://newton.dm.unipi.it/cgi-bin/neodys/neoibo?objects:1979QB;main

      As far as I know, Neodys does a systematic search only for Earth,
      then track the other planets for the examined asteroids for the sake
      of compute perturbation on their orbits.

      If somebody has better hints, I am interested too to this topic. I
      tried to get info e-mailing neodys' people, but even as an Italian I
      didn't get any answer till now.

      My purpose is to investigate on mutual asteroid collisions, an
      intriguing problem... very few possibility, but a large amount of
      possible pairing (considering about 300'000 in main belt, 9.0E+10
      pairing) a big problem of number crunching and sorting out data...

      It's very common an asteroid turns into comet, but some years ago
      (shoemaker-levy already hit jupiter) a comet turned to asteroid,
      since the coma and queue were peculiar and probably due to a
      collision occurred... Unfortunatly I can't remember the exact
      circumstances.

      Comments appreciated too.

      Pier Luigi Turrini