WMAP is on the page!

  • Tony Beresford
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2003
      WMAP has been added to the list of satellites at the MPC's site at
      http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/SpaceJunk/SpaceJunk.html
      Thanks are due to Dale Fink the WMAP navigator, Bill Gray and of course
      Gareth Williams.
      A few positional observations wouldnt go astray especially with
      some photometry so some numbers would get into the brightness column
      of the ephemeris. its probably about mag 19 and moving 2.5 arcseconds
      a minute
      Tony Beresford
    • rstoss@hrz1.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
        Tony and list,

        > WMAP has been added to the list of satellites at the MPC's site at
        > http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/SpaceJunk/SpaceJunk.html
        > Thanks are due to Dale Fink the WMAP navigator, Bill Gray and of course
        > Gareth Williams.
        > A few positional observations wouldnt go astray especially with
        > some photometry so some numbers would get into the brightness column
        > of the ephemeris. its probably about mag 19 and moving 2.5 arcseconds
        > a minute

        I've just reported these astrometric measurements to MPC:

        ---
        COD 620
        OBS S. Sanchez, R. Stoss, J. Nomen
        MEA S. Sanchez, R. Stoss, J. Nomen
        TEL 0.30-m f/9 Schmidt-Cassegrain + CCD
        NET UCAC-2
        ACK WMAP
        AC2 rstoss@...-darmstadt.de

        WMAP C2003 10 03.06320 00 35 11.87 -01 24 59.4 18.7 R 620
        WMAP C2003 10 03.07187 00 35 11.31 -01 24 40.8 18.6 R 620
        WMAP C2003 10 03.08345 00 35 10.57 -01 24 14.9 19.7 R 620
        WMAP C2003 10 03.09093 00 35 10.11 -01 23 58.8 19.2 R 620
        WMAP C2003 10 03.09838 00 35 09.86 -01 23 43.6 19.0 R 620
        ---

        As I wasn't sure how bright this probe is and fearing it could be
        fainter, I binned 2x2 to gain sensitivity at the cost of precision
        (exceeding critical sampling and getting undersampling).
        Otherwise it wouldn't have been visible on the last stacks.
        As you see from above magnitude estimates, its brightness
        changed quite a bit and this was also obvious on the images.
        Can this actually be for this probe? But your mag19 was quite
        good. I saw on their website an image from 2001 Nov. 16
        made with the 4-m at KPNO.
        http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/m_mm/ms_status3.html
        Could be that it shows brightness change too, on the same
        timescale.

        Reiner
        with the more than 1200km away 30W scope at "620 OAM"
      • Tony Beresford
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2003
          At 12:52 3/10/03, rstoss@...-darmstadt.de wrote:

          >I've just reported these astrometric measurements to MPC:

          As you see from above magnitude estimates, its brightness
          >changed quite a bit and this was also obvious on the images.
          >Can this actually be for this probe? But your mag19 was quite
          >good.

          Reiner, the space craft axis of symmetry is pointed at an angle of 22.5 degrees
          to the satellite sun line , and it precesses about this line with a period of
          1 hour. The detectors on the spacecraft point 70 degrees off the spacecraft axis
          and scan the sky with a 129 second period. So one does expect brightness variation,
          probsbly with a 30 minute cycle.

          tony beresford