Light curves

  • Patrick Wiggins
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      With all of the talk of asteroid light curves I've seen here (and with my
      possibilities of any further discoveries next to nil) I'd like to know it's done.

      I've done a lot of photometry with AAVSO over the years using an Optec SSP-3
      photometer but I'm guessing asteroid light curves are completely different since
      you can't use the same compassison and check stars from night to night.

      I'm running a C-14 OTA on a Paramount (images 108 to 139 at
      http://planet.state.ut.us/slas/patrickw/PATRICKW03.HTML ) and an ST-237 imager
      which I control with a Mac G-3. Also have a G-4 (and can't wait to get my hands
      on the new G-5).

      Is there a web site that goes into detail about how this is done or is there
      someone out there who would care to give me some pointers?

      I did check the MPML FAQ but the two links offering info about "differential
      photometry techniques" and "additional information" appear to be dead.

      Many thanks,

      Patrick :-)
      718
    • James Roe
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
        At 01:47 AM 7/1/2003 -0600, Patrick Wiggins wrote:
        >Is there a web site that goes into detail about how this is done or is there
        >someone out there who would care to give me some pointers?

        Wish you could have been at MPAPW 2003 - we had a whole session devoted to
        Photometry and Light Curves. The main talk regarding asteroid light curves
        was by Brian Warner and his presentation is on the proceedings CD which is
        'almost' ready for distribution. For those not registered at the meeting,
        the cost will be $5. I will announce here and on the web site when the CD
        is ready.

        Jim Roe
      • Greg Crawford
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
          >At 01:47 AM 7/1/2003 -0600, Patrick Wiggins wrote:
          >>Is there a web site that goes into detail about how this is
          >done or is there
          >>someone out there who would care to give me some pointers?
          >
          >Wish you could have been at MPAPW 2003 - we had a whole
          >session devoted to Photometry and Light Curves.

          Ah yes, but it's not too late to come to the Australian Minor Planet Workshop!
          Still 5 vacancies left and a whole session on light curves. ... Isn't it time
          you shouted yourself to an overseas holiday? You deserve it!

          http://www.nelsonbay.com/~gc/AMPW_files/page0002.htm See Sunday morning program.

          - Greg
        • Don Galt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
            Jim,
            is that an audio CD or have you included pictures/posters?
            Don