FineReader

  • Sergey Kazachenko
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 6:52 PM
      Novy <subj>, iak kazhuc' awtary:
      http://abbyy.ru/ocr_products.asp?param=6634
      padtrymlivae 177 movaw, u tym liku belaruskuyu. Ci
      karystaiecca im htos'ci?

      Syarzhuk

      =====
      Be healthy, stay wealthy...

      Visit Belarusan Music Source - http://www.belmusic.net/

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • belarus@cts.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7 2:52 PM
        Hi Syarzhuk,

        (I apologize for not replying in Belarusian.)

        I've been using FineReader Pro (FRP) 5.0 and now 6.0 for close to two years,
        mainly to OCR Belarusian Cyrillic and present the pages in Unicode on my Web
        site.

        In general it's a very accurate, powerful program with lots of configurable
        features, and it's the best OCR software I tried (and also the most
        expensive). Yes, the 177 languages are great, but I haven't tried the
        Cherokee or Inuit Cyrillic or Navajo, so I can't speak to their accuracy.
        ;-)

        For any language you are OCR'ing, I recommend using FRP's "training" feature
        to increase its accuracy with the specific documents you are OCR'ing.

        OCR'ing Belarusian Cyrillic works really well.

        I upgraded to version 6.0 to get the "define a new language" feature, so
        that I could add Lacinka (without having to fix the unrecognizable
        (accented) characters by hand -- quite tedious!).

        I spoke to several tech support staff to find out if Lacinka could be added
        in this way. Yes, they all reassured me. The tech support instructions and
        the documentation (in English) do NOT agree as to how to go about this
        process, so you end up having to experiment. Even the different tech
        support guys gave me different explanations. I exchanged a number of
        messages with them before giving up. :-(

        The problem is with the accented characters and that they are not ALL part
        of any one of the pre-Unicode code pages (those 12xx numbered ones).

        Thus far, tech support has been very WRONG--at least on Windows Me (English
        version); I'll try Windows 2000 some time in the next few months--which is
        supposed to be 100% Unicode compatible. To add Lacinka, Unicode support
        must work, and it does -- but not completely (on Windows Me, which isn't a
        true, 100% Unicode platform I'm told, just like its siblings in the Windows
        9x family). So you end up not being able to recognize some characters --
        just like the Lacinka ignorant version FRP 5.0 handled this language.

        I'll let you know what happens when I try to make it work on Windows 2000.

        Of course, if someone else got it to work on MS Windows (English versions),
        please let us know how. :-)

        Also, what's missing for Belarusian Cyrillic and Belarusian Lacinka are
        dictionaries. Of course, you can create one as you go, but I thought there
        was something called Slavic Brotherhood. . . .

        FRP does support other languages that have both Cyrillic and Latin
        encodings; they simply aren't convinced (it seems to me) that there is any
        market/need for Belarusian Lacinka. I guess I should be very thankful that
        they support Belarusian Cyrillic! :-)

        Best wishes,

        -- Peter
        www.belarus-misc.org

        PS What I think is funny is that FRP has a rigorous copy-protection
        feature. You need to use a special floppy disk when installing from the
        CD-ROM. Since the product comes from Russia where it is estimated 98+
        percent of the software -- esp. Microsoft stuff -- is pirated, it seems a
        bit ironic and hypocritical. ;-)