amazing things keep happening

  • Bruce Campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
      Dear Friends,

      I meant to write a long e-mail to Sangha just now, and was interrupted by one of the staff at our hotel.  He started asking me all sorts of questions about my gadgets.  I started to get anxious about the time, and my e-mail to Sangha and things I wanted to accomplish.  And then I noticed his eyes and how excited he was to be talking with me.  And how brave he was to approach me and use his english.  So, I took a breath, and brought myself back to the moment.  We talked for a long time.  When I told him I was with the buddhist group, he explained to me that he wanted to be a novice monk when he was younger.  But when he told his family that he wanted to be a monk, they cried.  And so he could not bring himself to hurt his family.

      I then shared that you could be a buddhist without being a monk.  It's funny, people don't seem to really get that concept here (I told a nice man today I was a buddhist, and he asked me why my head was't shaved).  I invited him to Thay's dharma talk tonight, and he's going to come listen with us.  Just blew me away to think that this Vietnamese dude is going to hear Thay's teachings because he met me in Vietnam.

      Speaking of Thay's talk, I need to get going.

      But one more tidbit -- we visited Thay's root temple today.  It is a magical.  Being there realized how much he must have suffered from his exile.  It is not a place that you would want to leave.  Anyway, we had some free time and I was walking alone around the grounds.  I was admiring the fragrant smells of the place, and I looked up this little hill and saw Thay sitting with some other monks.  He looked so peaceful and happy to be looking out over his home and sitting with his brothers.  I bowed to them, and he flashed me a big smile.  A smile of appreciation, it seemed.  And there's more to that story, which I will save for my longer e-mail.

      Bye for now.

      Cheers,

      Bruce
    • Jennifer Colton
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2007
        Wonderful, wonderful, Bruce.. Love hearing the stories! Thank you for sharing and holding us there with you.
        Looking forward to hearing more!
        ~jen

        Diverse and colorful printed material with no surprises.

        Jennifer Colton                              Office:  303-443-4413 ext 106
        Sales Manager                                Mobile: 720-231-9595
        Dennis Printing Service                     Fax: 303-443-7101
        2300 Central Ave. Suite A
        Boulder, CO 80301