Fwd: Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation February Monthly Sharing

  • boulder1507
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2013
      Happy to see Thay's foundation off to such a positive start.  If you're not already a member, you may want to consider joining.

      Sent from my iPhone

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation <info@...>
      Date: February 19, 2013, 1:36:14 PM MST
      To: bcampbelljr@...
      Subject: Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation February Monthly Sharing

      Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation
      Monthly Sharing
      February 2013
      TNH Foundation logo
      Dear Bruce,

      We are writing to share joyful news of the generosity of our beloved community.

      In 2012, the compassionate hearts of Foundation supporters provided $827,795 to promote mindfulness in the world!  We joyfully welcomed 1,622 new supporters this year.  As of January 1st, 2013, the Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation had 2,302 supporters, including 915 active supporters of the CONTINUATION FUND monthly pledge program.

      It is a remarkable accomplishment for the Foundation's first year, and your loving heart, and commitment to Thich Nhat Hanh's mindful teachings and loving practice, made it possible.

      In 2012 your general support gifts provided...

      $142,800 to help maintain and develop our three North American monasteries and Plum Village monastery in France - inspirational practice centers which open their Dharma doors to tens of thousands of people every year.

      $64,100 to international humanitarian relief efforts which aid victims of poverty in Vietnam; including special one-time aid donations for victims of natural disasters in Thailand, and Hurricane Sandy relief in the eastern region of the U.S.

      $24,100 for Dharma sharing programs, such as retreat scholarships for people with economic hardship, "Wake Up" tours, Sangha building, online teaching courses, films, and public "Days of Mindfulness" in cities throughout North America.

      In addition to the generous and loving general support gifts, compassionate donors also gave special one-time gifts that were restricted for specific programs or funds, including...

      $42,707 for the Monastic Trust Fund, a Unified Buddhist Church (UBC) Endowment, which, combined with a generous 2 to 1 matching gift offer, resulted in a total of $128,121 raised to ensure the care and continuation of our beloved monastic community.

      $55,000 to hire coordinators for the Wake Up tour program and the Applied Ethics program, which help to bring mindfulness teachings to thousands of children and young adults.

      $60,000 to produce the film, Planting Seeds: The Power of Mindfulness, to offer meaningful, fun, and engaging activities to teach children mindful living.

      $57,000 to produce Walk With Me, an inspiring new film to give viewers insight to the practice of mindfulness, through the experiences of our monastic and lay communities.

      $65,000 to renovate kitchen facilities at Plum Village Monastery to accommodate thousands more visitors.

      And, over $75,000 was also given for the Love & Understanding Program, Australian Dharma outreach, and to help with special needs and building projects at our North American practice centers.

      With your one gift to the Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation, you support all the many ways that Thay has chosen to help bring love and understanding to the world.  On behalf of all of us at the Foundation, thank you.

      With a deep bow of gratitude,

      Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation Board of Directors

      COMMUNITY SHARINGS

      We aspire to keep our beloved community informed and involved in the fruits of their compassion. In 2012, the Foundation offered many new sharings to provide members with program updates, upcoming event announcements, practice resources, and other community news, including...

      *Friends on the Path semi-annual newsletter

      *Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation website

      *Foundation monthly sharing E-update

      *Foundation FACEBOOK for weekly updates

      If you do not wish to receive mail and/or email sharings about the Foundation's efforts, please let us know, and we will be happy to honor your request.

      About the Foundation
      The Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation works to continue the mindful teachings and loving practice of Thich Nhat Hanh. The Foundation's mission is to help raise financial support to meet the needs of our practice as it continues to grow and spread in many new places.

      Of the general support funds donated to the Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation, twenty percent goes to each of our three North American monasteries and Plum Village monastery in France, ten percent provides for humanitarian relief assistance, and ten percent supports Dharma sharing programs.

      For more information on the Foundation's work, upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, or to make a gift online, PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

      Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation

      2499 Melru Lane Escondido, CA 92026
      ph: 760-291-1003 x 104
      e-mail: info@...

      FOUNDATION 2012 HIGHLIGHTS REPORT
      NEW INITIATIVES!

      SANGHA BUILDING PROJECT

      Thich Nhat Hanh has taught us that without Sangha, there is no Buddha and there is no Dharma. Sangha is essential to our practice. With the awareness of the need to help build, develop and strengthen Sangha, the Foundation began the Sangha Building Project to provide financial and resource support to help build Sanghas. Sangha support includes funding amounts of up to $500 to bring a Dharma teacher to a local Sangha and community for a public "Day of Mindfulness" event, and a "Sangha in a Box" resource kit which includes: instructional and teaching books, chanting and song CD, pamphlets, photograph of Thich Nhat Hanh, 'how-to' tips, and a bell.

      DHARMA SHARING PROGRAMS

      As part of its ongoing work to provide support for mindfulness teachings and practice programs, the Foundation was honored to provide support for the following program initiatives in 2012....

      California Wake Up Tour 2012: A 16-day tour with 20 events which included: seven Days of Mindfulness at major universities, six public "flash mob-style" walks/sits, and visits to a charter high school and a youth detention center. The seeds of mindfulness planted during the tour continue to blossom via local Wake Up groups in California.

      Northwest Wake Up Tour 2012: A three-week Pacific Northwest Tour in Oregon and Washington State, with more than 15 events focused around three main themes: 1) Creating local, sustainable Wake Up meet ups and Sangha networking; 2)Training youth participants on how to co-lead mindfulness practices; 3) Outreach to support specialty groups and at-risk young adult populations.

      Scholarships for the "People of Color" Retreat: One hundred people attended the first "People of Color" (POC) retreat held at Deer Park Monastery in five years, finding new ways to relate to our experiences and the world, and to practice harmony, compassion and reconciliation despite difficult conditions.

      Like us on Facebook
      PDF Download
      Click here

      2013 MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL

      Please renew your commitment to the Thich Nhat Hanh Foundation with your one-time gift today, or by joining the CONTINUATION FUND monthly pledge program.  Our monthly donors continue to provide the largest source of general support revenue, as well as sustainable funding we can depend on.

      Your 2013 membership gift will help us continue our work this year, as our practice continues to grow and spread to many more places. Thank you for your practice, and for helping bring the practice of mindfulness to others.
      This email was sent to bcampbelljr@... by info@... |
      Unified Buddhist Church | 2499 Melru Lane | Escondido | CA | 92026