metta

  • Beth Eld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2011

      Dear friends,

      At sangha this week we reflected on metta, or loving kindness meditation. Here is a version from Thay.

      Happy summer!

      -Beth

      Love Meditation

      (We begin practicing this love meditation focusing on ourselves (“I). Until we are able to love and take care of ourselves, we cannot be of much help to others. Next, we can practice towards others (substituting “he/she” or “they” or “we”), first with someone we like, next with someone neutral to us, then someone we love, and then toward someone “the mere thought of whom makes us suffer” –Thich Nhat Hanh Teachings on Love

      May I be peaceful, happy, and light in body and spirit.

      May I be safe and free from injury.

      May I be free from anger, afflictions, fear and anxiety.

      May I learn to look at myself with the eyes of understanding and love.

      May I be able to recognize and touch the seeds of joy and happiness in myself.

      May I learn to identify and see the sources of anger, craving, and delusion in myself.

      May I know how to nourish the seeds of joy in myself every day.

      May I be able to live fresh, solid, and free.

      --
      "Whether you know it or not – you are already there. You are the beauty… the power… the passion… the knowledge… the fire… the calm… the heart and the soul… You are the star of your being… all you have to do is let yourself shine." - Sark