Thurs., Nov 13, Dinner 5:30 at Tokyo Joes - 7 pm, Touching the Earth

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2008
      Dear Friends:

      This Thursday at Sangha we will practice TOUCHING THE EARTH.

      Also, we will meet at Tokyo Joes on Arapahoe at around 5:30 for a
      dinner before Sangha. We can support each other in eating a
      vegetarian meal and enjoy each others company while eating mindfully.
      We hope that you can join us.

      Touching the Earth
      In gratitude to parents, teachers, friends, and all beings, I bow
      deeply before the Three Jewels in the Ten Directions.

      The practice of Touching the Earth is to return to the Earth, to our
      roots, to our ancestors, and to recognize that we are not alone but
      connected to a whole stream of spiritual and blood ancestors. We are
      their continuation and with them, will continue into the future
      generations. We touch the earth to let go of the idea that we are
      separate and to remind us that we are the Earth and part of Life.

      When we touch the Earth we become small, with the humility and
      simplicity of a young child. When we touch the Earth we become great,
      like an ancient tree sending her roots deep into the earth, drinking
      from the source of all waters. When we touch the Earth, we breathe in
      all the strength and stability of the Earth, and breathe out our
      suffering- our feelings of anger, hatred, fear, inadequacy and grief.

      Our hands join to form a lotus bud and we gently lower ourselves to
      the ground so that all four limbs and our forehead are resting
      comfortably on the floor. While we are Touching the Earth we turn our
      palms face up, showing our openness to the three jewels, the Buddha,
      the Dharma, and the Sangha. After one or two times practicing Touching
      the Earth (Three Touchings or Five Touchings), we can already release
      a lot of our suffering and feeling of alienation and reconcile with
      our ancestors, parents, children, or friends.