Linguist List fund drive

  • Barbara Partee
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2012
      Dear colleagues,
      The Linguist List fund drive has started again -- and once again
      everyone around the world who has ever used Linguist List is invited to
      make a donation to help Linguist List survive.
      I'm on the Advisory Board of Linguist List, and every year they ask us
      advisors to write letters to help with the fund-raising. This year I wrote
      a letter based on my experience in encouraging Russian linguists and
      linguistics students to donate to Linguist List, and they have just
      published it in Linguist List as the first advisors' letter of the fund
      drive. I'm copying it below, together with details provided by Linguist
      List about using the fund drive website. And as always, if you don't have a
      credit card or a friend with a credit card, I'll be happy to help -- I can
      use my credit card if you would like to give me cash. (And if you'd like to
      be anonymous, even from me, you can get some friend to give me your cash in
      an envelope marked "anonymous donation for Linguist List".) Whether
      anonymous or not, be sure to participate in the "graduate school
      tournament" (a friendly competition to see which institutions - and which
      countries! - donate the most) and the "battle of the fields" (a friendly
      competition to see which fields of linguistics give the most). How to do
      that is all clear on the donations page. (Last year, I believe Russia came
      in second among European countries in the total amount of donations! Many
      small donations can really add up! And a big one from ABBYY helped, too!)

      So here is the letter I composed for the Linguist List fund drive, followed
      by their own details about how to donate. I hope to see lots of donations
      start coming in from Russian colleagues soon now!

      Happy Spring to everyone!

      Date:* 01-Mar-2012
      *From:* LINGUIST List <linguistlinguistlist.org>
      *Subject:* LINGUIST List - An International Community

      Dear LINGUIST List Subscribers,

      Since I spend half of every year in Russia, I've realized some things that
      I hadn't been conscious of when my view was just from the U.S. Maybe some
      of them will be relevant to some of you, as international subscribers or as
      Americans spending time abroad.

      (i) Linguist List is really international. In some ways it's even more
      crucial for the international community than for the U.S. - it really does
      help make it a small world, where everyone can find out about every kind of
      resource and opportunity. When I first arrived at Moscow State University
      in 1996, access to the internet was very limited (you stood in line with
      your diskette for the one computer in the department that could send and
      receive e-mail), but there was already a mirror site of Linguist List
      installed. If you're not in the U.S., this is to you!

      (ii) Students and faculty in many countries have much less time and money
      than they typically do in the U.S. One of my former Russian students, now
      in the U.S., asked me last year, with some annoyance, why I keep asking the
      relatively poor academics in Russia to send money to the rich U.S. At first
      I was just hurt and surprised by the question! But she hadn't realized how
      many of the graduate students at Eastern Michigan University working for
      Linguist List are international students themselves, and that their work
      and study there is a great opportunity, made possible by donations to
      Linguist List.

      Also, since I offer to use my credit card to send donations from Russian
      colleagues and students to Linguist List if they don't have their own, she
      supposed that I was keeping track of who did and didn't donate - which
      would indeed be immoral pressure. But donations can be anonymous, so I have
      no knowledge of "who didn't give", and no one is asked to give more than
      they can. We know that if everyone who uses Linguist List would give just a
      dollar (which requires some group cooperation, since the minimum credit
      card donation is $5), we would raise far more than the Fund Drive target

      (iii) Some countries (Russia is the example I know best) have no tradition
      of "fund-raising among ordinary non-wealthy people to support a common
      good, as is common in the U.S. for public radio and many other good causes.
      Things for the common good are in many countries either government-funded
      through taxation or else supported by rich donors and corporate sponsors.
      Linguist List, like many good causes in the US, really depends very heavily
      on individual supporters like you and me! If you're in a country that
      hasn't had such fund-raising traditions, and you're a linguist, and you've
      ever benefited from Linguist List in any way, I hope you'll follow the
      example of my Russian colleagues who have in the past years been donating
      in increasing numbers, in smaller or larger amounts, as they can afford. (I
      help by sending encouraging letters on the local linguistics mailing list.)
      The totals add up quickly enough!

      Best wishes to all from one of the Advisors,

      Barbara Partee

      This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $67,000. This money will go to
      help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the
      coming year.

      See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund
      Drive 2012 site!

      There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

      You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

      Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:

      For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how
      to donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:

      The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and
      as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a
      registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is
      38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and
      sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
      information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

      Read more issues <http://linguistlist.org/issues/>|LINGUIST home
      |Top of issue <http://linguistlist.org/issues/23/23-1048.html#dir>

      Barbara H. Partee
      50 Hobart Ln, Amherst, MA 01002
      +1 (413) 549-4501

      Tallinskaya 2, apt. 258, Moscow 123458, Russia
      +7 (495) 757-0108

      Dept. of Linguistics, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003-9274
      phone (413) 545-0889, fax (413) 545-2792
      E-mail (no matter where): partee@...
      Home page: http://people.umass.edu/partee/
      Sept 2011 - mid-Feb 2012: Amherst. Mid-Feb - August 2012: Moscow.