Fwd: an information resource for (current and prospective) linguistics students

  • Natalia Zevakhina
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2009
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Ann Sawyer <amsawyer@...>
      Date: 2009/8/28
      Subject: an information resource for (current and prospective)
      linguistics students
      To: ling-dept-l@...

      Hi Everyone,

      The LINGUIST List just switched on a section of their website that I
      proposed and worked on a little over two years ago. It's called The
      Student Portal (http://linguistlist.org/studentportal/), and contains
      some things that you (or students who come talk to you) might find
      interesting and/or useful. A sampling of the contents:

      1. "what is 'linguistics'?" - this includes one of my favorite
      subsections with short essays from lots of real life linguists
      describing how they got into the field
      2. a section on careers - what you should do to build a cv, the
      importance of public presentation, advice on abstract writing, link to
      the LL summer internship registry (it's a paid internship so tell your
      students), lists of companies that hire linguists and listings of
      current jobs
      3. a library section - basically an annotated bib of useful books

      And lots more. It's not comprehensive, but a decent start. Please
      remember to suggest to students with questions that they might find some
      help there. And if you have time, look it over yourself and let them
      (portal@...) or me know if there are things you think it
      might be helpful to add.

      -Ann