Language 85(2)

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009
      Стал доступным новый номер 85(2) журнала Language в электронном варианте
      (Project Muse).

      Особое внимание привлекаю к дискуссии между Невинсом, Пезецки, Родригез и
      Эвереттом, посвященное языку пираха. Насколько профессионально написана
      статья Эвереттом судите сами. Abstracts are attached below.

      Nevins, A., Pesetsky, D., & Rodrigues, C. (2009). Pirahã exceptionality: A
      reassessment. *Language, 85*(2), 355-404. doi:10.1353/lan.0.0107

      *Abstract:* Everett (2005) has claimed that the grammar of Pirahã is
      exceptional in displaying 'inexplicable gaps', that these gaps follow from a
      cultural principle restricting communication to 'immediate experience', and
      that this principle has 'severe' consequences for work on universal grammar.
      We argue against each of these claims. Relying on the available
      documentation and descriptions of the language, especially the rich material
      in Everett 1986, 1987b, we argue that many of the exceptional grammatical
      'gaps' supposedly characteristic of Pirahã are misanalyzed by Everett (2005)
      and are neither gaps nor exceptional among the world's languages. We find no
      evidence, for example, that Pirahã lacks embedded clauses, and in fact find
      strong syntactic and semantic evidence in favor of their existence in Pirahã
      Likewise, we find no evidence that Pirahã lacks quantifiers, as claimed by
      Everett (2005). Furthermore, most of the actual properties of the Pirahã
      constructions discussed by Everett (for example, the ban on prenominal
      possessor recursion and the behavior of WH-constructions) are familiar from
      languages whose speakers lack the cultural restrictions attributed to the
      Pirahã. Finally, following mostly Gonçalves (1993, 2000, 2001), we also
      question some of the empirical claims about Pirahã culture advanced by
      Everett in primary support of the 'immediate experience' restriction. We
      conclude that there is no evidence from Pirahã for the particular causal
      relation between culture and grammatical structure suggested by Everett.

      Everett, D. L. (2009). Pirahã culture and grammar: A response to some
      criticisms. Language, 85(2), 405-442. doi:10.1353/lan.0.0104

      *Abstract:* This article responds to criticisms of the proposals of Everett
      2005 by Nevins, Pesetsky, and Rodrigues (2009, this issue). It argues that
      their criticisms are unfounded and that Pirahã grammar and culture are
      accurately described in Everett 2005. The article also offers more detailed
      argumentation for the hypothesis that culture can exert an architectonic
      effect on grammar. It concludes that Pirahã falsifies the single prediction
      made by Hauser, Chomsky, and Fitch (2002) that recursion is the essential
      property of human language.