Re: [mosling] фильм об исче зающих языках

  • Barbara Partee
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2007
      Dear Daniel and colleagues,
      The film "The Linguists" is actually a serious film (but designed
      to appeal to a wide audience, not only to linguists), made with support
      from the National Science Foundation and I think maybe also the National
      Geographic Society. It is going to premiere at the Sundance Film
      Festival in January. You can read more about it on Language Log, here:
      http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005230.html
      <http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/%7Emyl/languagelog/archives/005230.html>
      I haven't met the main linguist, David Harrison, personally, but
      I've corresponded with him and I know his other colleagues at Swarthmore
      College (Donna Jo Napoli and Ted Fernald), and I believe this is
      excellent work! It has been receiving a great deal of attention among
      linguists in the U.S.
      I haven't seen the film yet, and I haven't read the book /When
      Languages Die/ yet either, but I am certainly hope to (both)!
      Best regards,
      Barbara Partee

      --
      Barbara H. Partee

      Home: 50 Hobart Lane, Amherst , MA 01002 (413) 549-4501
      *****
      Moscow address: Tallinskaja 2, apt. 258, Moscow 123458, RUSSIA
      Moscow phone: (7) (495) 757 01 08
      *****
      E-mail (no matter where): partee@...
      Home page: http://people.umass.edu/partee/
      Jan - Aug 07: Moscow. Sept - Dec 07: Amherst