Re: [morganowners] Morgan 35 Centerboard - To Use Or Not To Use

  • Justin McKay
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 1, 2013
      Hey Karl I too have an m28 and I was wondering if u knew the length of cable from the rod to the center board for underwater? I am on the hard and she rests on her keel. I will replace the cable when she gets put back in, it would be nice to have a measurement . Thanks!

      Justin

      Sent from my Kyocera Hydro

      Karl Burton <kburton@...> wrote:

      Don't cut the cable until you are sure that it isn't mechanically jammed in  the trunk (barnacles, rocks from a grounding once...)

      My M28 I'd say that the board is good for about 5 -7 degrees better CMG to windward when fully down, compared with fully up.  Off the wind the difference is barely noticeable  (although if you have the depth of water and need to make really sharp turns in a harbor or marina, it helps on that, also).

      The only ones that would have had any effect on stability would be the bronze boards on some (I think early) 34's.  The board used in the rest is just foam and fiberglass and some reinforcement and doesn't weigh much at all, especially when immersed.

      At 10:37 AM 3/31/2013, you wrote:

      Hi, I just bought a 1972 Morgan 35 which appears to be in pretty good shape overall except that the centerboard is locked in the up position. The boat appears to have decent overall draft below the waterline. We were able to get the centerboard down a few inches, but it appears to be either jammed or rusted into an "up" position. Since it is only adds about 2' to the draft when in the down position, I am wondering if it really needs to be fully down. Only way I can see getting it into a down position is to cut the cable and let it hand, which presents its own set of problems in shallow water.

      What are anyone's thoughts on sailing with the 24 inch (24"/2ft) centerboard in the up position? I am concerned with upwind pointing and overall boat stability that I may be losing not dropping the centerboard down (increasing draft from 48" down another 24".

      Any help is appreciated.

      I can be emailed at robertbeegel@...

      Thanks
      Rob

    • Justin McKay

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 17, 2014
          Hi there
          Has anyone had a centerboard stuck in the "up" position?  I am still trying to fix it and not sure where to start.  The marina that is doing some work on the boat isn't quite sure of how to proceed either.

          Rob
        • frank deshaw
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 17, 2014
            there are 2 cables....1 from the winch to a shaft in the stuffing box housing and another from the other end of that shaft over a sheave in that housing down to the board.....the axle for the sheave in my boat had rotted out......you need to take everything apart and inspect and fix what ever is necessary.....if you need to talk send me your phone #

            On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:46 AM, "robertbeegel@... [morganowners]" <morganowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Hi there
            Has anyone had a centerboard stuck in the "up" position?  I am still trying to fix it and not sure where to start.  The marina that is doing some work on the boat isn't quite sure of how to proceed either.

            Rob

          • John Lison
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 17, 2014
              Hi
              I have a m34 with a keel/centerboard and would be glad to talk about your situation via cell..........my # 787 409 9558 Please only after 7pm Florida time or anytime on a week end.
              good luck. John

              On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:46 AM, "robertbeegel@... [morganowners]" <morganowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              Hi there
              Has anyone had a centerboard stuck in the "up" position?  I am still trying to fix it and not sure where to start.  The marina that is doing some work on the boat isn't quite sure of how to proceed either.

              Rob

            • Robert Beegel
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 17, 2014
                Thanks, I will try to call you tonight.
                Rob

                Robert Beegel
                Vice President, Chief Financial Officer
                Infographic World, Inc.
                440 East 62 St. 1B,  NY, NY  10065
                212-644-3940  Local NY
                516-242-1212  Cellphone
                631-651-5024  Fax
                Email  robertbeegel@...

                Mailing Address
                Business Operations
                Infographic World, Inc.
                10 Exeter Court
                Northport,  N.Y.  11768  USA
                631-651-5024

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 18, 2014
                        Hi

                        Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, I was not able to open the link at all.  Can I find that manual anywhere else?
                        Thanks again.

                        On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Steve D stevend1959@... [morganowners] <morganowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                        There are a few guides in the archives of our group.
                        Here's one I found right away.
                        image
                        Preview by Yahoo

[...]

                      • Stevend1959
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 18, 2014
                          Go to Yahoo groups, while signed in, and look in the files tab.

                          Steve