Batter size

  • daveo58@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 2:57 PM
      I'm buying a O.I. 41 that needs new batters, as there are non for the house bank. What size fits the factory battery box?
      Thx
      Davve
    • john.howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21 3:44 PM

        There are so many differences in the configurations of the Morgan, not to mention the 1001 owner mods, it would be safer to measure the boxes and then order.

        Jh sends

        I'm buying a O.I. 41 that needs new batters, as there are non for the house bank. What size fits the factory battery box?
        Thx
        Davve

      • morgantpa
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21 5:02 PM
          I used a 1"x1" PT piece of wood and raised the battery box lid, to hold 4 TROJAN's T-145 6v (House bank).
          Had two additional T-145 on the starting bank (access in the head).  I tried the Interstate 6v they only lasted 3 years.

          Capt. Jack

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21 5:43 PM

            According to our 416 manual it came with two 4D batteries. Our original battery boxes now have 4 Trojan 6V batteries wired to produce two 12 volt sets. The Trojan's are a little narrower and a little taller then the 4D's but have lasted longer, are cheaper and are easier to replace. I believe I inserted some 2x4's to make up the space for the narrower batteries and added 1x1's on top of the box to make up for them being taller. When we were cruising I had 2 more Trojan's on the house bank in another box. That set of 6 Trojans lasted 4 years of cruising and 2 years at the dock. The current set of 4 have lasted 8 years of mostly being at the dock and are coming to the end of their life. The supposedly new 4D batteries that were in the boat when we bought it only lasted 1 year of cruising.

            We also have a separate group 27 battery to start the engine.

            To: morganowners@yahoogroups.com
            From: daveo58@...
            Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 21:57:47 +0000