Back to the Future...

  • Flying Pig
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      Back to the Future...

      Those of you who have been paying attention probably have noticed that we've
      been ashore, in a boatyard for a very long time, now. The multipage list of
      things to do keeps having items crossed off (many 10s of them so far, many
      of them major), but also keeps getting added to, as is the nature of boat
      refits.

      The good news is that the end is in sight, and that we may be able to finish
      the necessary work to make Flying Pig viable in the foreseeable future.

      Which is a good thing, because she'll soon be available on YachtWorld and
      all the other places brokers make note of such events. Without such work,
      she'd be a very poor candidate for anyone not ready for a big project,
      lessening the already monohull-depressed boat market (catamarans, in the
      marine - that is, salt water - market, have come to dominate, severely
      down-valuing monohulls) values.

      Lydia's mother has been patiently waiting for us to finish the boat - since
      the 4th of July, ironically, Independence Day here in the US - and living
      nearby with the son of her best High School buddies, now both deceased.

      However, Lydia's been there, now, full time, for a month, and herein the
      nature of the subject line. She's been there because her mother, a US
      citizen, has been living the UK for 40 years, but came to the US to go
      cruising with us after Lydia's daughter's wedding. If you've been following
      us, you know that's been a continually receding target.

      However, that's irrelevant, now. Her 86 year-old mother, never taking any
      medication all her life, and a wonder to the medical fraternity, was
      overenthusiastic at yoga a month or so ago, and, with osteoporosis
      progressing as it does in folks of her age, got a compression fracture.

      Needless to say, that was a painful experience, and debilitating.
      Chiropractic, accupuncture, and, eventually, a trip to a pain clinic, with
      treatment there, has moderated the symptoms to a manageable level. However,
      Lydia's noticed a severe decline in her mother, as well, during the time
      we've been visiting regularly, in breaks from - in some cases - the
      backbreaking (well, in our case, the backs are fine, just tired!) work we've
      been doing on our floating home.

      As such, we've had to toss around the reality that she may need some care/a
      constant companion. And, indeed, last night, the hard decision was made.

      We're turning hard to starboard, selling Flying Pig, looking into the most
      economical areas in the US (we still want to be US citizens) in which we can
      either build, buy or rent someplace small, but still be within reasonable
      distance of quality medical care and cultural possibilities.

      Interested parties will have to wait a bit until it's listed, but look for
      Flying Pig in the near future. In the meantime, we'll get along with
      wrapping things up here. Lydia's been enjoying her time with her mother
      immensely over the last 9 months, and relishes stepping up to the plate to
      be her companion/caretaker in her (presumed) last few years.

      A new chapter in our lives, this will allow me, as well, to resume my
      musical entertainment, vocally and instrumentally, in a presumed (we don't
      know where we'll land, but these are among the checkpoints) involvement in
      community groups. Given that maintaining (should we build or buy) a house
      is orders of magnitude less expensive than maintaining a boat, we may even
      be able to start saving some money, instead of bleeding it arterially!

      It's been a great ride - ah, I forgot that; more below - but we're looking
      forward to our new chapter.

      As to the ride, we'll no doubt find a great Fiero to drive; both of us are
      Fiero enthusiasts. Not quite the same car, but it takes us Back To The
      Future :{))

      L8R

      Skip and Lydia (and Louise, her mother! - and Portia, the now-landbound cat)

      Morgan 461 #2
      SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

      When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
      - Dr. Samuel Johnson
    • Flying Pig
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
        Does anybody (really) know what time it is (or so the lyric goes...)?

        First, check the last line in my signature block.

        Second, check your calendar,

        Third, disengage (the best crafted ones have enough truth to reel them in,
        hook, line and sinker) :{))

        We'll be floating some time this year...

        L8R

        Skip

        Morgan 461 #2
        SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

        When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
        - Dr. Samuel Johnson
      • Richard Shapiro