Re: [morganowners] Re: Morgan 44 .., a lost topic

  • Richard Shapiro
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
      My question is whether you call your dinghy snark (or boojum)?

      Rich

      On Mar 31, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Brian Harrigan wrote:

      "It's on the internet so it must be true!" What is true is that "real"
      words don't have a lot to do with sailing our beloved Morgans; unless
      they are words we say on our Morgans. My words are unfit to publish!

      Brian
      SV Bandersnatch

      Steve D wrote:

      > Is Wikipedia a real word? ;-)

    • Steve D
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
        It makes no difference, it doesn't answer to either. :-/
        Steve

        Steve D wrote:

        > Is Wikipedia a real word? ;-)

      • museenigma
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
          So is there actually a web site dedicated to people interested in Morgan Sailboats information and data and not interested in petty and small jabs at perhaps a persons misuse of the English language or maybe does not have grasp of the English language as expertly as someone else. That is not helpful or inline with what this site should be about. Help, information, data, friendship and not exploring how we can boost our own overblown ego's.

          --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Steve D <stevend1959@...> wrote:

          > It makes no difference, it doesn't answer to either. :-/
          > Steve

        • Michael Barnes
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011

            REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrosion

            these will take a minute to download - went up the main mast with my
            expensive camera and took pictures of HW.
            http://web.me.com/dadidoc/Dadidoc_Rigging/Main_Mast_HW.html

            HELP NEEDED; Need help understanding how best to remove corrosions
            from my standing rigging and passivate

            My standing rigging has yellowish corrosion - probably because my
            slip was near a major airport - maybe ! Looking for insight on how
            best to remove corrosion and clean attaching hardware for stays.

            I have a passivation solution which I will be using to soak my shot
            peened chainpates ( like new condition).

            My worry and concern is how best to remove corrosion. Any help and
            ideas, or better, proven solutions and remedies would by most
            excellent !

            Mike Barnes
            SV Dadidoc
          • Jim
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
              I think it was Skip who put us on to this product: Spotless Stainless I haven't yet tried this product, but it sure sounds great!  Has anyone else used this?  And more important, does it really work?
              --
              Jim & Barb s/v: 'The Merry Bee' Ocean Gate, NJ
            • morganglory323
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
                Hello Mike,

                I am not a rigger and only know what I've read in books and learned by doing; for example, when I pulled the mast and replaced the standing rigging (I made wires using Sta Lok fittings) on our boat a few years ago. Please feel free to question everything that follows...

                I don't know if you plan to remove any of this standing rigging. Whether you do may affect how thoroughly you can clean and inspect.

                1. What I saw on the stainless seemed to be superficial rust that can be removed with a metal polish. We've always used NEVR-DULL, which is a wadding material impregnated with something. Rub, rub, rub, then buff off the residue - about $6 a can, I think. I've heard good reports about two other products, but haven't used them [yet]: Wichard's Wichinox and Liberty Polish (the latter recommended by Rebecca Wittman, author of "Brightwork" and "The Brightwork Companion").

                2. DSC_406 - Am I looking at a clevis pin that has lost its cotter pin? If so, that cotter must be replaced ASAP. I would not get under way without it.

                3. DSC_401 - There is a T-bolt toggle in that photo. The head of the Tee is green. That may not be a big deal. I'm guessing the fitting may be chromed bronze, the chrome coating is compromised (or maybe it's just always porous - I'm no chrome expert), and the green is corrosion from the bronze. It may clean up. If this were on my boat? By close inpection I may be able to convince myself this fitting is fine, but if the lower end of the wire also has this type of T-bolt toggle, where the top of the Tee screws onto the swaged end, I would at least detach the lower end of the wire and unscrew the Tee to ensure this point had no hidden corrosion. When this fitting is on the lower end of the wire water can enter the Tee head and accelerate corrosion.

                4. DSC_369 - It may be an illusion, but it looks like there is a very slight bend of the wires as they leave their swage fittings. If there is a bend, this is a potential fatigue point that should be inspected very closely. Anything you can do to make the lead straight from the swage would be helpful.

                5. DSC_410 - The wire with the thimble and nicopress fitting (the wire nearest the mast - topping lift?) looks like there's a bit more rust on it that on other wires. I'd make sure that wire cleans up well and the wire strands look solid. Because this wire is coated (white coating shown in other photos) water can get trapped under the coating and accelerate corrosion. I would do whatever seemed reasonable to make myself comfortable with the integrity of this wire.

                6. DSC_379 - In places where you have stainless hardware screwing into aluminum, you may want to use something like Tef Gel to minimize corrosion. I also used a silicone caulk between these metals. For example, the anchor light mounting bracket is stainless steel. I caulked between the bracket and masthead fitting and lightly screwed it in place. The next day (after the silicone cured) I removed the screws, coated them with Tef Gel, reinserted them and snugged them down. I used a silver-colored silicone that said it was formulated for use on aluminum.

                That's this layman's input.

                Jim
                "Morgan Glory"
                1984 Morgan 323

              • barnesma@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
                  THANK YOU for the detailed review. H
                  Hope others benefit - I very much appreciate you taking the time !
                  If you were to "download" the pix ( top right of the preview panel) the pix come out in the original , much higher, resolution.  I have done this in the past to find defects ( as you may have) using the magnified picture

                  thanks !