Re: Boat Yard

  • jamelia_ca
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
      $200 to unstep your mast??
      Did they do all the work? If not, it seems very high

      Joe

      "the road to truth is long, and lined the entire way with annoying
      bastards."

      -- Alexander Jablokov

      --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, furzedesign@a... wrote:

      > Playboy Marine. It will let you do all the work or sub out
      whatever you
      > need. You have to buy all the materials from their store
      though. Check their
      > website at www.playboymarine.com They have price lists there
      also. This
      > yard is a do-it-yourself yard, but they have tons of different
      trades working
      > there all the time. Their phone # is 954 920 0533
      >
      > Haul out and launch was $100.
      > unstepping my mast $200.
      > first 10 days was $ 19. x day
      > next 10 days was $ 35. x day
      >
      > good luck and let me know if you need any more info.
      >
      > Fred
      > 1970 M35 Classic
      > N I G H T W I N D

    • John Terry
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006

        I don’t think anyone would accuse Playboy marina of being inexpensive.

        Russ

      • furzedesign@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
        • furzedesign@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
            200 to unstep and re step.  No they supplied the crane and operator.  The rigger did everything else, and they required a licenced rigger be there during unstepping and stepping.

            So this is pricey?  It was my first experience in doing this with a boat, and this yard was very convenient to me, since I dock right across the canal.  What would this operation typically cost?

            Fred
            1970 M35 Classic
            N I G H T W I N D
          • jamelia_ca
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
              I'm in Summerside, PEI, the only place I have ever unstepped and
              restepped my mast, every year, and it costs nothing (ok, maybe a
              beer or two). Our marina has a crane (just for lifting masts,
              certainly wouldn't handle a boat). Kind of like the lobster trap
              cranes for unloading the boats.

              I do my own mast every year, with the help of my first mate, and
              another body or two. As does everyone else in the marina.

              When I do the Great Circle Loop, I expect to have to unstep and
              restep the mast twice. Hopefully, I don't have to pay someone to do
              it.

              --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, furzedesign@a... wrote:

              > 200 to unstep and re step. No they supplied the crane and
              operator. The
              > rigger did everything else, and they required a licenced rigger be
              there during
              > unstepping and stepping.
              >
              > So this is pricey? It was my first experience in doing this with
              a boat,
              > and this yard was very convenient to me, since I dock right across
              the canal.
              > What would this operation typically cost?
              >
              > Fred
              > 1970 M35 Classic
              > N I G H T W I N D

            • Merlin Clark
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                Met a diver once that "talked" a draw bridge tender
                into un and restepping his mast.
                I helped a friend do his (27 Hunter) under the 520
                bridge in Cocoa FL. 2 of us on the bridge with a line
                wrapped around the mast under the spreaders. Could
                have done it with a four way from the deck.
                I'm sure you'll come up with a plan.

                --- jamelia_ca <jamelia@...> wrote:

                > I'm in Summerside, PEI, the only place I have ever
                > unstepped and
                > restepped my mast, every year, and it costs nothing
                > (ok, maybe a
                > beer or two). Our marina has a crane (just for
                > lifting masts,
                > certainly wouldn't handle a boat). Kind of like the
                > lobster trap
                > cranes for unloading the boats.
                >
                > I do my own mast every year, with the help of my
                > first mate, and
                > another body or two. As does everyone else in the
                > marina.
                >
                > When I do the Great Circle Loop, I expect to have to
                > unstep and
                > restep the mast twice. Hopefully, I don't have to
                > pay someone to do
                > it.
                >
                > --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com,
                > furzedesign@a... wrote:
                > >
                > > 200 to unstep and re step. No they supplied the
                > crane and
                > operator. The
                > > rigger did everything else, and they required a
                > licenced rigger be
                > there during
                > > unstepping and stepping.
                > >
                > > So this is pricey? It was my first experience in
                > doing this with
                > a boat,
                > > and this yard was very convenient to me, since I
                > dock right across
                > the canal.
                > > What would this operation typically cost?
                > >
                > > Fred
                > > 1970 M35 Classic
                > > N I G H T W I N D

              • WILLIAM ADAMS
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                  The mast on a 35 foot keel stepped Morgan is no lightweight and requires a crane or something similar and a few hands to get it out and back in. I don't think $200 is that pricey.

                  --- jamelia_ca wrote:

                  > I'm in Summerside, PEI, the only place I have ever
                  > unstepped and
                  > restepped my mast, every year, and it costs nothing
                  > (ok, maybe a
                  > beer or two). Our marina has a crane (just for
                  > lifting masts,
                  > certainly wouldn't handle a boat). Kind of like the
                  > lobster trap
                  > cranes for unloading the boats.
                  >
                  > I do my own mast every year, with the help of my
                  > first mate, and
                  > another body or two. As does everyone else in the
                  > marina.
                  >
                  > When I do the Great Circle Loop, I expect to have to
                  > unstep and
                  > restep the mast twice. Hopefully, I don't have to
                  > pay someone to do
                  > it.
                  >
                  > --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com,
                  > furzedesign@a... wrote:
                  > >
                  > > 200 to unstep and re step. No they supplied the
                  > crane and
                  > operator. The
                  > > rigger did everything else, and they required a
                  > licenced rigger be
                  > there during
                  > > unstepping and stepping.
                  > >
                  > > So this is pricey? It was my first experience in
                  > doing this with
                  > a boat,
                  > > and this yard was very convenient to me, since I
                  > dock right across
                  > the canal.
                  > > What would this operation typically cost?
                  > >
                  > > Fred
                  > > 1970 M35 Classic
                  > > N I G H T W I N D

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • bedesign@optonline.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 3, 2006
                    I pay about $3 a foot, on a 35' mast for reference.....

                  • Sunstrider@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 23, 2010
                      Hi Folks

                      Anyone hear anything useful about Bennett Bros Yachts in Wilmington, NC?

                      Carl
                      Sunstrider
                      41 OI