Re: [morganowners] Nav Notebooks

  • Flying Pig
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010

      Also check out Itronics (or maybe Itronix, I don't recall for sure).

      Commonly available cheaply on eBay, as they are returning from Iraq.  Many of the same features of the toughbook, but much easier HD swap, touch screen, built in GPS and, of course, WiFi.

      I met a cruiser who used his as his chartplotter.  Testing includes a 40PSI water stream on all 6 axis, so waterproof.  Sand in the keyboard?  Peel it up and give it a shake.  Want a different HD?  Pull out the caddy, put in another (toughbook can swap, too, but it's a very involved process).

      Serial port, too, for that NMEA stuff!

      L8R

      Skip

      "Believe me, my young friend, there is *nothing*-absolutely nothing-half so
      much worth doing as simply messing, messing-about-in-boats; messing about in
      boats-or *with* boats.

      In or out of 'em, it doesn't matter.  Nothing seems really to matter, that's
      the charm of it.

      Whether you get away, or whether you don't; whether you arrive at your
      destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get
      anywhere at all, you're always busy, and you never do anything in
      particular; and when you've done it there's always something else to do, and
      you can do it if you like, but you'd much better not."
    Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2010

      I have an older toshiba that runs my chartplotter and all just fine.  Bought it for about  $300 when  I bought the boat.

      Bought  a second used one, EXACT same one one Ebay Toshiba Satellite M55-S3293 1.86GHz Laptop 100GB 1gb used for $190 which I have as a backup with  exact duplicate of software and apps as my primary laptop.

      Have the backup if disaster strikes - aka lightning !

      Had my primary computer since I bought SV Dadidoc 4 years ago.  The backup is turned on sometimes when its home - the primary stays on the boat.  They both share the same power supplies, charges, and the hard drives and memory  can be swapped if needed.

      not sure that the new stuff is all that much better - you are limited anyway for internet speed on a boat, and we really do not have any crushing apps where you would notice much of a difference.

      http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=2211658&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeeds-_-Pricegrabber-_-Notebook/MobileDevices-_-GeneralDynamicsItronixGD6000-Core2DuoT94002.53GHz_2211658

      On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:40 AM, Flying Pig wrote:

      Also check out Itronics (or maybe Itronix, I don't recall for sure).

      Commonly available cheaply on eBay, as they are returning from Iraq.  Many of the same features of the toughbook, but much easier HD swap, touch screen, built in GPS and, of course, WiFi.

      I met a cruiser who used his as his chartplotter.  Testing includes a 40PSI water stream on all 6 axis, so waterproof.  Sand in the keyboard?  Peel it up and give it a shake.  Want a different HD?  Pull out the caddy, put in another (toughbook can swap, too, but it's a very involved process).

      Serial port, too, for that NMEA stuff!

      L8R

      Skip

      Morgan 461 #2