RE: [morganowners] Holding tank question

  • Dennis Frakes
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

      I don’t know much about bladders but have been thinking about installing a Lectra-Scan device.  How is it working for you, any issues, any maintenance chores, would you buy another one?  How long have it been working?

      Thanks in advance,

      Dennis

      S/V Kewl Breeze

      M-60

      Seabrook, Tx

      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi Dennis

        Our Lectra-san works well as long as Sunstrider is in salt water. In brackish river water you have to add salt to make it work. I have had to replace the electrodes and bushings once, doable but not fun. It also is an amp hog. I would think really hard about buying another one, primarily because we are not supposed to use it in no discharge zones, which are becoming more prevalent.

        Carl
        Sunstrider 41 OI
        Wilmington, NC

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
          I thought about a Lectra-San for our boat about 10 years ago, but as mentioned they are not to be used in No Discharge areas. Sure enough, our marina is in a creek that was just last year made a No Discharge Zone. Glad I saved my money. I also heard that they are tricky to winterize; don't know about that.

          My bladder is original as well and I really think that any smells are from the hoses, not the bladder. I found a sag in the hose that holds waste between the bladder in the v berth to the deck fitting last year, just never noticed it before. I plan to replace the hose this spring to correct that and reduce the odor from that hose. We take extra care when we pump out to run a few bowls of fresh water through after the bladder has been "emptied" to flush the system which has really helped.

          I will share this as well. The local water quality guy says that although the Lectra-san treats the waste, it puts some of it's own by product problems in the water when it discharges, I don't remember what. At the time of his presentation, I was just glad that I hadn't spent the time and money for something that I could no longer use that I didn't commit the processes to memory.

          Chip

          s/v Brigadoon
          1982 Morgan OI416, # 93
          Cobbs Creek & Deltaville, VA, USA
          On The Chesapeake Bay
        • jbr1948@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010

            hi Morgan sailors & neighbor Capt. Chip,

            We've been pleased for over 2 years with the "Air Head" composting head in our M- 28.  There are other brands of such small composting heads; we've found the Air Head well designed and the maker/inventor (Geoffrey Trott) gives good service.  We have a 4" NICRO solar ventilator always running and just clean it out at late fall shut-down.  I'm more convinced now that having a smelly holding tank & lots of hoses & frequent pump-outs are things I don't want or miss.  Have others had experiences?

            John & Cindy Reeves  M-28  Mathews, Va.  (behind Gwynns Island)

              I 've heard that painting hoses will work to extend thier life. The hoses become permeated and the paint helps to seal the odors in.
              Having changed out hoses and installed 2 new systems, I'll try this next time I have to "mess" with a sanitation system!
              Merlin

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                Carl:
                I know that Captain Ron, of S/V Windfetish had a heck of a time with his bladder when it leaked.  The main problem is he had no way of monitoring how full the bladder was.  His one experience was enough to convince me to install solid polypropylene rotomolded holding tanks for both my fore and aft heads.  I added a 32 gal tank  below the forward berth, and a 30 gal tank below the aft berth.  I also added the capability to pump waste myself overboard rather than rely on a pump out facility alone, for both tanks.  to monitor the tanks I added a Raritan tank monitor system, which is adhered to the outside of the tank.  Works well!!

                Joe Fox
                S/V SIOBHAN II
                1984 Morgan 454 Nelson Marek Sloop
                Apollo Beach, FL
              • horizon421@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                  Thanks fo your referal (air head) however,can u provide a link

                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: jbr1948@...
                  Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:29:46 +0000 (UTC)
                  To: <morganowners@yahoogroups.com>

                    From: jbr1948@...

                    Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:29:46 +0000 (UTC)

                    To: <morganowners@yahoogroups.com>

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                      (Thank U

                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      From: "Dennis Frakes" <dennis.frakes@...>
                      Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 09:31:18 -0600
                      To: <morganowners@yahoogroups.com>

                      From: jbr1948@comcast. net

                      Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:29:46 +0000 (UTC)

                      To: <morganowners@ yahoogroups. com>

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010

                        Re: "Air Head" marine toilet=  www.airheadtoilet.com  from EOS Design, LLC  (Geoffry Trott)

                        Yes, its well designed, campact and sorta costly (look closely at the 'knock-offs' ).

                        Comments?  Questions?   John Reeves  M-28   Va.  lower Chesapeake

                        Thanks fo your referal (air head) however,can u provide a link

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010

                          Not to be too tacky – but how is the cleaning of the Air Head bowl done?  How do the “solids” find the paper carrier?

                          This is a perfect answer for me and I appreciate your giving us this piece of info….

                          Dennis

                          S/V Kewl Breeze

                          M/60

                          Seabrook, TX

                          From: jbr1948@...

                          Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:29:46 +0000 (UTC)

                          To: <morganowners@yahoogroups.com>

                        • captainron@rbdesigns.info
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010

                            Actually the leak that Captain Joe sites was due to a bad installation by the previous owner, bags must lie flat and not hung vertically.  I am a big believer in bags now especially for boats with limited or non-standard space.  Odors, if any come from using cheap waste hoses in boats.  In my opinion bags are better than rigid tanks in that they can be washed out and pumped out completely dry.  (When a pump suction is applied to the bag it collapses completely forcing all of the contents out.)  The secret is to not put a vent tube in or put one with a shut off valve in the line that can be closed at pump out time.   As far as knowing when they full, all you need to do is open your eyes look at them.  They are though more expensive though than standard shape plastic tanks.

                            Captain Ron

                            "Wind Fetish"

                            Morgan 44

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                              http://www.airheadtoilet.com/  Air Head link... works great and installation is easy.  Hardest task is the bladder and hose removal.

                              Capt. Jack

                              From: jbr1948@comcast. net
                              Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:29:46 +0000 (UTC)
                              To: <morganowners@ yahoogroups. com>

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 2, 2010
                                Hi All,
                                We also have a composting toilet in Raven, our 45 Morgan. So far its worked fine, bit we did have a problem with "Gnats" for a while. They looked like the ones thet come off the fruit if you dont clean them properly. It took days to get rid of them. I basically took the whole thing into the cockpit and sprayed the inside with insect killer, and slammed the trap door shut. Did this three or four times and them took the base for dumping. Then scrubbed the fittings and nooks and crannies to get rid of any eggs (?) and larvae. I have found the worst thing is the bum paper. I must have the wrong sort, for it ends up around the stirrer.
                                John and Christine.
                                Raven
                                Santa Cruz CA