Re: [morganowners] Reward to the Winner

  • Robert VanBurkleo
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010
      Check the relief valve on the Hynautic system, mine does not sound like
      yours, mine sounds like a stuck pig and squeals really loud when I am
      hard over and push the wheel just a little bit more. The hydraulic fluid
      bypasses in the relief valve and squeals really loud.

      Shown in this photo
      http://sportboards.bizland.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://sportboards.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/autopilot2733.jpg&target=tlx_new

      May not be your problem but a good place to start looking.

      RobertVB
      s/v Exodus

    • jregar@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010
        Check the steerage pump behind the destroyer wheel.  Found small leaks, the give away was the drips of fluid coming from the shaft on the out side of the pedestal.
        Had my rebuilt several years back. Could did out the info, if you need it.

        Capt. Jack

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2010
          We kept losing pressure without losing fluid or seeing any leaks in the Hynautic system  on our 1975 33OI. After much frustration bit the bullet pulled the pump, tank, cylinder, relief valve and reservoir and brought to Hose and Hydraulics in Clearwater,FL. System has been back in for a year and pressure is still holding. Best $1,000.00 spent for peace of mind and safety. Noise may be annoying but it possibly does indicate a potential  problem.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010
            Does anyone have any experience with these units?  Practical Sailor seems to like them but they are awfully pricey.

          • Troy & Deana Jones
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010
              I installed the 80 in my Morgan 41, I took the icebox out on the port side and built a shelf for the unit to sit on then built some drawer units to the side of the Engel, I like the unit and use it as a freezer. Works just fine for our boat.

              Does anyone have any experience with these units?  Practical Sailor seems to like them but they are awfully pricey.

            • Jeff Barfett
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010

                Bought a ‘45’ in 2001, put it on the boat and it has been running pretty much 24 X 7 since. First half of it’s life it ran as a refer, the last 5 years as a freezer. Great units IMHO.

                Jeff

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010
                Recently installed a Engel 40 where my Nova Kool freezer was(port side).  Cut out the space and installed the new one. See attached, have more pictures and suggestions, let me know?

                Capt. Jack

                Morgan 416

                Does anyone have any experience with these units?  Practical Sailor seems to like them but they are awfully pricey.

              • Jeremy Bernal
                Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2010
                  We have nothing bad to say about them. Very efficient, very quiet, very durable.

                  BILL ADAMS wrote:

                  Does anyone have any experience with these units?  Practical Sailor seems to like them but they are awfully pricey.

                • John Noble
                  Message 9 of 20 , Feb 4, 2010
                    Anyone know how much power in amp hrs./day, a medium sized Engle uses as a refrigerator mode in 90 degree weather?  How about as a freezer?

                  • jregar@aol.com
                    Message 10 of 20 , Feb 4, 2010
                      The published amp usage at their web site is very close to actual usage.  http://www.engel-usa.com/

                      Message 11 of 20 , Feb 4, 2010
                        In our experience it depended on how often we opened it. If it remains closed it will use *very* little power. We have 60 watts worth of solar panels and a KISS windmill, and it was plenty to keep the fridge running and battery topped off.

                        Message 12 of 20 , Feb 7, 2010
                          Thanks for the great reviews on the Engel Freezer. I'm going to add the new model MR40 (which is said to be a marine model with more plastic) to my M-30.

                          To: morganowners@yahoogroups.com
                          From: capn@...
                          Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:01:24 -0200

                          Message 13 of 20 , Feb 7, 2010
                            Bill,

                             Got a good deal on EBay on my MR 040 F (free shipping). Have pictures of installation on my Morgan 416?

                            Capt. Jack

                            To: morganowners@ yahoogroups. com
                            From: capn@ncsail. org
                            Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:01:24 -0200