Re: [morganowners] Identify Transmission ?

  • jregar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 1, 2009
      Try these guys, there is a toll-free number on the web site.
      http://www.zf-transmissions.com/zf-transmissions.htm

      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 3, 2009
        Thanks but nothing found there.

        For a start what is the make of the transmissions fitted to Perkins 4-154 engines in 416's in 1982

        Bryan ~~~ _/) ~~~

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2009
          My 416 hull # 176 PERKINS 4.154 replaced trans. in 2004. Trans-Atlantic Diesel HBW250-3R 2.74:1.
          #'s on Transmissiom 7F-25M, A=2.74 B=2.72
                              S/N 34553L
                              P/N 3307002002

          Capt. Jack

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 3, 2009
            Hi, Bryan,

            I don't have the answer directly - but for inventory control, I can't imagine that the 4-154s in the 46x would use different trannies than the 416.

            Accordingly, they're Hurth (zf) 250 transmissions - but your data doesn't look at all like what's on the top of mine, so perhaps it's a retrofit??

            L8R

            Skip

            (and)
            "There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
            its hand
            (Richard Bach)

            ._
          • Mary Stoltz
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 3, 2009

              Bryan,

              That is probably HBW20. From the manual:

              HURTH boat reversing gearbox unit . . . equipped with a positively driven, mechanically operated helical gearing system. The servo-operated multiple-disc clutch requires only minimum effort for gear changing, making the HBW transmission suitable for single-lever remote control via a rod linkage or Bowden cable. The HBW permits direct reversing at full engine speed, for example in emergency cases.

              I will try to insert a snapshot of the pertinent technical data below and hope it makes it through the email list. If it doesn’t, I’ll try another approach.

              Regards,

              Mary

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
                Well done our Mary.! Now the question is : which of the three ratios have I. I see someone ringed the 2.7 , was that you.?

                This is all leading up to, of course, what prop should I have.?  At the moment it has a 17 x 17. It revs to 3500 all too easily and when he mud bank rose from the sea-bed and hit my keel last year I was disappointed by the engine failure to get me off. ;-).

                I suspect bigger diameter would be better. That would normally need a lesser pitch but because this one revs to 3500 so easily I wonder if I should stay with the same pitch but larger diameter.

                By now everyone with a perkins 4-154 will have trialled and errored to find the best answer. What is it. and, crucialy, does it help the backing down (or backing up )

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009
                  Bryan
                  ,

                  That 2.7 figure was from my hurth (7F 25M) A=2.74   B=2.72

                  Capt. Jack

                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 4, 2009

                    Capt. Jack and Bryan,

                    Jack, I thought that came from you, but when you didn’t send it to Bryan I just figured senility was catching up with me.

                    Bryan, standard equipment was the 4-154 with 62 HP @3000 RPM and the HBW20, Ratio 2.73:1, with an 18” diameter, 17” pitch 3 blade prop. A prop shop should be able to increase the pitch on your current prop enough to lower your RPM’s.

                    As for hull grabbing mud banks, they love a full keel boat and don’t easily give her up. Best way to break loose is with a bit of fore and aft rocking and gentle, but steady, power astern. Passing power boat wakes are a good bet or a wave train from a storm coming across Florida Bay works well, too. Don’t ask me how I know.

                    Backing up, backing down, requires the “direct reversing at full engine speed” that Hurth is so proud of, alternated with “direct forward at full engine speed” for very short bursts and a sharp sense of the effect of currents on the full keel and wind on all that freeboard. Once the wind has her, there is no hope. Time to turn around and start again. Through it all try to appear unperturbed and act like it went just the way you planned it. ;-)

                    Best regards,

                    Mary

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                      Thank you Mary, very nice to have such a knowledgable person available.

                      Capt. Jack
                      S/V Braveheart
                      Morgan 416 Hull #176 1983
                      Nokomis, FL

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 5, 2009
                        Mary,
                        You are answer to every hot blooded Morgan-owning man's prayers.
                        A fount of all knowledge. Now then;  who has a 18 "dia  x 17" pitch 3 bladed right hand prop to fit a 1 1/4" shaft for sale ?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 6, 2009
                          Might try ebay Bryan. There always seem to be a few (and more these days) and sailboat props usually sell at reasonabe prices.
                          Merlin

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 9, 2009

                              Jeff,

                              Where is your Engel 45 installed?  Did you build it in or what?

                              Tom

                              Mia's Competition

                              1977 Morgan Out Island 415 Ketch

                              Apollo Beach, Florida

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 13, 2009

                                The Engel sat in the saloon for a number of years. I remodeled the dining table one year, made it a little smaller and installed the Engel between the table and bulkhead. It is a little inconvenient to get to but use it strictly as a freezer so I’m not into it every day. Engel offered a ‘built in’ model which was a 45 that had the out case removed. I’ve thought if my SeaFrost system ever bit the dust, I would purchase another Engel, remove the case and build it in the galley ice box location. Also thought about taking the newer 65 units that are both refer and a freezer and making a table out of it in the saloon for  more cold storage – can you ever have enough cold storage?