Heat Exchanger Update

  • BJ ADAMS
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
      I removed the heat exchanger from the boat and opened up the gasketed end to find a good bit of "stuff" inside. I decided the way to go was a radiator shop. I was referred to a guy in St. Pete who knew exactly what I had in my hand when I walked in and asked if I wanted them to put a new gasket on when finished. I said yes and a week later had my cleaned h-x back. I put her back in and the engine is running cool as new. The bill came to $90. If anyone in the Tampa-St. Pete area has a similar problem I would recommend Tommy's Radiator on 22nd Ave North. Vinegar might have been cheaper but if I only have to do this every 15 years or so, I'll go with Tommy. Thanks again for all the advice.
    • Zuzack, Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009

        Bill,

        I replaced the gasket and zinc last time I cleaned my heat exchanger with vinegar and will paint my heat exchanger in addition to replacing the gasket and zinc next time I clean it with vinegar.  I am of the philosophy that the more I do myself the better I know my boat and the better I will be prepared to handle problems should they arise when help is not readily available.  And although doing it yourself may be cheaper, it is not always so.  For example, the paint, supplies, haul out fees, and yard time cost more than the cost of having the yard do my bottom at a place like NOA or Salt Creek Marina in St. Pete.  Finally, I am often happier with the quality of the work done myself.  It irritates me to have to correct flaws in the workmanship of others or go back to get them to do the job right.  That being said, even though the workmanship may not be as good, I doubt I will ever do the bottom myself again.  It is just so much easier and cheaper to have someone else do it and the difference in quality probably makes no discernable difference once the boat is in the water.

        Tom

        Mia's Competition

        1977 Morgan Out Island 415 Ketch

        Apollo Beach, Florida

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
          Tom,

          I agree with you but in my case I would not even have attempted removal of the hx without the help of another Morgan guy more comfortable with diesels than me. When we got it out, it looked like it needed a lot more than vinegar. It was, after all, blocking my whole cooling system. For me the decision to get it cleaned out by a professional shop was the right one but I do applaud anyone who can do it him/her self and at a lower cost.

          Just getting the thing out and back in was a great learning experience for me