Re: [morganowners] Shangri-La (41' Morgan) survived Hurrican Ike, but needs help in Flordia...

  • Bryan ~~~ _/) ~~~
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      You can do worse than call "Keys Boatworks"  which is actually a boatyard with two boat-lifts. Talk to owner Mike or his wife Sharon. Located on the Gulf side at Marathon in Fl. keys. Nice climate while you're there too. I live aboard in the yard all winter.  You can do whatever work you like to your own boat including preparing bottom but NOT paint bottoms.

      Sounds to me as if you have a worn cutlass bearing which is allowing shaft to 'whirl' thus wearing out the packing very quickly. In any case once hauled replace cutlass bearing before repacking shaft.

      However - are you _Sure_ the packing is leaking even without turning shaft ? Maybe a leak on the rubber hoses/clamps/  associated ??

      You can tell Mike that  'Bryan - the Brit.' sent you ....I'll be back  there aboard the OI41 after November 5.

      Bryan

      Bryan ~~~ _/) ~~~

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        Capt. Mike,

        We have a 5W PowerFilm flexible solar panel that keeps our 130Ah
        battery charged. It deploys easily and plugs into an accessory plug
        (automotive cigarette lighter type), but can also be connected
        directly to the battery terminals (through an appropriate fuse, of
        course).

        This particular panel also comes in a 10W version and there are
        probably other similar options available. Using a panel like this
        would prevent you from having to figure out installation of a rigid
        panel when you are pressed to resolve other issues.

        We bought ours through http://www.sundancesolar.com

        FYI, note this info from Don Casey's "Sailboat Electrics Simplified",
        p123:
        "The output of a maintenance panel should be about 0.3% of the total
        battery capacity. For example, for a 220-amp-hour battery bank, you
        want a panel that puts out about 0.66 amps - close to what you would
        expect from a 10-watt panel (10W/16V)."

        Jim

        --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Mike & Kerri O'Barr
        <kosrae41@...> wrote:

        > For what it is going to cost to move the boat that far and back,
        not to mention the personal transportation to and from, I think you
        could buy the solar panel. Also I bet that the problem will only get
        worse with any motoring involved in moving the boat that far.

        > Mike
        >

        > To: morganowners@...: co2mike@...: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:54:40
        +0000Subject: [morganowners] Shangri-La (41' Morgan) survived

      • jbr1948@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 2008

          Item # 280279062757   1972 Morgan 30/2

          FYI- Subject Morgan 30/2 looks in decent shape, with Yanmar QM15 motor & reasonable range of equipment (12 photos).  Its fin keel draws 5'10".

          The seller sounds very motivated to sell ( BUY IT NOW is $4,000).  Ad has many added commentaries & comments.  Anyone interested?

          good sailing,  John Reeves   Mathews, Va.  M-28

        • David Schreiter
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2008

            I have a 1972 Morgan 30/2. The beam is 11'3" and it draws 5"3", The rest of the pics on this guy's 1973 boat look like pix of my boat. I just got my boat Fall 2007 and needed to fix a lead bulge in the keel. Mine has 12 sails--no roller furling and some equip/electronics that needed updating. Has orig sails in the inventory. But, I paid $4000, as well. I thought mine was adeal, but, it looks like this guy's 1973 boat is a deal, also! I did the bottom and then sailed from Lake Michigan and sailed in Green Bay and it needed TLC. Was on the hard for 5 - 6 yrs before I bought her so I needed to do some things to the Atomic 4 gas engine. I am a Therapist by trade and my boat has become MY therapy!!
            David Schreiter
            1972 Morgan 30/2 Hull#64
            "RELIANCE"