RE: [morganowners] Perkins Engine Parts

  • Larry Dill
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2008

      Depending on parts needed, check non-marine sources. I have a sweet old IH tractor/backhoe, built mid-sixties, with an original Perkins 4-154 engine. Of course, if you need heat exchangers, etc, you are probably going to have to mortgage your home;-)

      Regards.

      LD

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2008

        Larry,

        Any suggestions for injection pumps?

        Merlin

        Depending on parts needed, check non-marine sources. I have a sweet old IH tractor/backhoe, built mid-sixties, with an original Perkins 4-154 engine. Of course, if you need heat exchangers, etc, you are probably going to have to mortgage your home;-)

        Regards.

        LD

        I need some parts for my Perkins 4-154. Any recommendations?

        Jim

        Beagle

        Marathon , FL

      • Mike & Kerri O'Barr
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2008
          I second that. Bought my fuel pump from a tractor dealer.

          Mike

          To: morganowners@yahoogroups.com
          From: dillport@...
          Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 11:03:42 -0400

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2008

            Also note….. a number of the later 4-154 engines were based on a block built by Mazda and used in Canadian Ford pickups.

            Jh sends

            To: morganowners@yahoogroups.com
            From: dillport@...
            Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 11:03:42 -0400

            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2008

              Sorry for delay in response—been some hectic developments here.

              I see no reason why the injection pump form a tractor mounted 4.154 would not be identical to the marine pump.

              If you are interested, although it may take a few days, I will check the part numbers on my back hoe engine part manual with those from the marine engine part manual (someone here may already be able to verify they match). I am confident that one ought to be able to find a new H.P. pump, even if he has to look to England . There is a company called “Help Today” in England which was exceedingly helpful in replacing my Lucas starter motor on my Westerbeke 4.108 some years back. The cost, including shipping and duty, was less than I would have spent for a local rebuild (which turned out to not be available, due to lack of parts).

              That said, your existing injection pump likely can be rebuilt to as good as new. Replacement parts should be available. Cost will likely be several hundred dollars, but should be less than a new pump.

              A few years ago I had a HP pump rebuilt at a local diesel repair facility in Lafayette , Indiana . Turned out, they sent the body to another location (I will see if I can determine where that was), then just about double the price for handling it for me. Had I sent it directly to the repair facility (which I did not know existed at the time) I would have saved 30-50 %. I will check to see if I can locate the actual repair facility name and address.

              The rebuilding process on these HP pumps is quite simple, yet fairly absolute precision is required. The test equipment is not a common shop item, and setting up to do just one pump would not be cost effective. If it were, I would rebuild my own.

              You might check these guys to see if they can do it, and at what price: http://www.treasurestate.com/diesel/pumps.htm

              More later.

              Message 6 of 9 , May 20, 2008
                Just returned from the Bahamas with a leaking HP fuel pump on our 4-236
                Perkins on our 41 OI.
                I am interested in the address of a firm that will rebuild (with
                "precision") Perkins HP pumps whether from tractors or space shuttles.
                Thanks.
                More details.
                It is "weeping" from the throttle shaft, mostly AFTER running. Low
                pressure side obviously. I have caught most of the fuel in a cup I wired
                on in Bimini. Less than a quart leaked after ~50 hours running.
                FYI. I read in Boat US that the new ultra low sulfur fuels can erode
                seals in older pumps. I just got back and haven't figured out what kind
                of fuel I bought in Marathon.
                Cheers -Wes S/V Eos