Re: [morgan] Flying Pig Chronicles, Current Edition

  • Skip Gundlach
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      > Hi Marv,
      >
      > I believe that Skip and Lydia are in the process of moving Flying Pig to a
      > less expensive place for repairs and that it will be a couple of weeks
      > before he is set up and writing again.
      >
      > Rich

      Hi, Rich, and group(s-crossed to yahoo),

      We've made it to Venice, where we've pulled in for the night, providing
      power (Inverter a victim) and internet (none without power), and will be
      leaving for St. Pete tomorrow morning.

      We have two functional sails - the staysail and a MPS. The first three days
      were MPS - except for the major doldrums all yesterday, which we enjoyed
      sitting in, doing some plumbing, swimming, and otherwise just relaxing.
      About 8PM the wind came up so we hoisted the chute again, and off we went,
      doing an overnight as it was so perfect. Went further overnight than we did
      the first couple days. We were pinched to 65-75* in the real light air, and
      as it built, we went first to beam, then to eventually 120*, but really had
      a great ride.

      However, another victim seems to be our driveline as the pillowblock between
      the engine and stuffing box is hotter than I like, so we're using the engine
      only for maneuvering, not travel. So, when the wind was picking up to
      consistently more than 13-16, we elected to strike the chute. I obviously
      don't know how to do that efficiently, as it was a real wrestling match to
      pull the sock, but we got it down without any real excitement, and went the
      rest of the way today on the staysail, which doesn't provide much downwind
      drive!

      We'll see what tomorrow's weather holds, but I can say categorically that
      one should not rely on NOAA as given on the VHF channels, as had it been as
      forecast, we'd have been home by now. Much lighter winds than even the same
      day/same location forecasts. It's only this afternoon that it lived up to
      its billing.

      Meanwhile, the boat is doing marvelously, and even my hard plumbing held up
      under the assault on the rocks. There's lots to do when we land, needless
      to say, but in general we are certain we can make her wonderful again. Lots
      of equipment died/broke, lots of structural stuff will need doing, but we're
      confident we can maker her as good as new.

      Once again, we want to issue heartfelt, and entirely inadequate to words,
      thanks for all this and the other communities to which I'm connected have
      done to help us out. We'll certainly return the favor down the road, but for
      right now, you can't imagine how much it's meant to us. Thanks to all our
      anonymous benefactors, and, of course, to those who we DID know - we're well
      watched after and looked over and protected.

      Please feel free to visit with us in Salt Creek Marina - we'll be there by
      next week and perhaps by the weekend, depending on how the wind behaves...

      L8R

      Skip and Lydia

      Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
      SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
      Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

      away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
      Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
    • Rich Shapiro
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi Skip and Lydia,

        Thanks for the update!

        Please post an address where we can reach you when you get to Salt Creek.
        There are a lot of us who would like to keep up with you.

        Fair winds and safe passage,

        Rich

> [...]

        thanks for all this and the other communities to which I'm connected have
        done to help us out. We'll certainly return the favor down the road, but for

        right now, you can't imagine how much it's meant to us. Thanks to all our
        anonymous benefactors, and, of course, to those who we DID know - we're well

        watched after and looked over and protected.

        Please feel free to visit with us in Salt Creek Marina - we'll be there by
        next week and perhaps by the weekend, depending on how the wind behaves...

        L8R

        Skip and Lydia

        Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
        SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
        Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

        away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        4:09 PM