Re: '71 Morgan 35 Swing Keel

  • Charley Morgan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <donaldB@...> wrote:

      > anyone know how much the stock swing keel board is supposed to weigh?
      > One of the POs of my vessel has replaced it with a piece of
      plywood...

      > Im thinking about just adding a 12" tall steel keel "board" with a
      > male plug into the board trunk, filled with lead, making this a 5.5'
      > draft boat with 500# or so of extra keel weight instead of a 4.5'
      > swing keel. Anyone try anything similar?

      Sorry Donald,
      I hit the mystery swith too soon! Here is more re your boat.

      Be sure that your rigging and chainplate foundations are all OK, - the
      additional lead will increase the loads imposed on all of the rig
      elements which have a sufficient safety factor, -- but, if the
      terminals are old or have cracks they could fail and at the age of the
      boat any leaks around the chainplates might spell trouble. While you
      are at it check out the stemhead/headstay pin hole for wear or slop.

      Let me know if you have other questions.

      Cheers and smooth sailing, ~ Charley Morgan
    • Charley Morgan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2007
        --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, "Donald" <donaldB@...> wrote:

        > anyone know how much the stock swing keel board is supposed to
        weigh?
        > One of the POs of my vessel has replaced it with a piece of
        plywood...

        > Im thinking about just adding a 12" tall steel keel "board" with a
        > male plug into the board trunk, filled with lead, making this a
        5.5'
        > draft boat with 500# or so of extra keel weight instead of a 4.5'
        > swing keel. Anyone try anything similar?

        Me again Donald,

        I guess I accidentally deleated the first part of my CyperFlash to
        you
        re: the Center-board for your M-35.

        Fill the trunk with lead and do not increase the draft, - it is not
        need and will reduce access to passes and safe anchorages and refuge
        if and when needed.

        The M-35 was designed when the first iteration of the IOR rule was
        just coming out, later changes made the board obsolesent under that
        rule.

        The additional lead will increase the range of stability and your
        perfomance in fresh winds.

        Please send us all of your contact info so we can post you and your
        boat in the Morgan Rgistry and send a story about your adventures for
        the Morgan Chantyman.

        Cheers, ~ Charley Morgan

        Let me know if I can be of any help to you