Bahamas insurance coverage

  • Skip Gundlach
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi, y'all,

      As we get ready to ship out, we're going to replace our insurance from the
      strictly coastal Allstate to Bahamas coverage, and later blue water (well,
      at least Caribbean).

      I submitted the requisite online form to BoatUS, of which we are unlimited
      towing members (despite having been in the water only the last
      not-quite-3-months out of the last 3 years) of long standing, and got the
      response below.

      It was shocking in two regards: The max value and the coverage costs; it
      appears I was quoted on a different area than I'd requested, perhaps because
      of its current location in FL? The Bahamas aren't mentioned, and FL east
      and west coast are, when the quote area asked for was US Gulf, Atlantic and
      Bahamas waters.

      So, two questions: Who here has Bahamas coverage and for those with BoatUS
      coverage, were there any surprises in the valuations or costs?

      Related, though the numbers (not very many here) would be very slim, for any
      46x owners: What do the insurance folks value your boats to be?

      Below is the quote I got from them:

      From: <AUTO-QUOTE@...>
      To: <SKIPGUNDLACH@...>
      Subject: BoatU.S. Quotation - Application # 2711974
      Date: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 9:41 AM

      Thank you for your interest in BoatU.S. Marine Insurance and for taking
      the time to tell us about your boat. We are pleased to offer the
      following quote.

      IMPORTANT NOTE:
      According to the information provided about your boat, there are
      criteria which must be met in order to purchase this policy. They are
      noted in the SPECIAL CONDITIONS AND REQUIREMENTS section of your quote.
      If you need additional information, please call our toll free
      number (800) 283-2883 Monday - Friday between the hours of 8am - 9pm
      and Saturday between the hours of 9am - 5pm, EST. Please provide your
      Application Number 2711974 to our representative or you may wait for
      a quote package sent to you by mail which will contain instructions
      about binding your policy.

      SKIP GUNDLACH
      & LYDIA FELL
      P. O. BOX 614
      RABUN GAP GA 30568

      Type of Boat : 461 1979 MORGAN 46
      Cruising Area : U.S. Atlantic Coastal Waters including FL East & West Coast

      SUMMARY OF COVERAGES
      Boat and Boating Equipment (Agreed Hull Value) : $80,000.00
      Boat and Boating Equipment Deductible : $1,840.00
      Storm Deductible : $4,000.00
      Boating Liability : $100,000.00
      Fuel and Other Spill Liability : $800,000.00
      Medical Payments : $1,000.00
      Boat Trailer : $.00
      Trailer Deductible : $.00
      Personal Effects : $.00
      Personal Effects Deductible : $.00
      Uninsured Boater Protection-Limit each Accident : $100,000.00

      TOTAL ANNUAL PREMIUM : $4,149.00
      BOAT U.S. MEMBERSHIP (Required if not a Member) : $19.00
      TOTAL ANNUAL COST : $4,168.00

      The following applies to boats located in the states of TX, LA, MS,
      AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, or VA: In the event of any loss caused directly
      or indirectly by a storm named by National Oceanic & Atmospheric
      Administration(NOAA), the deductible subtracted from each loss,
      whether partial or total loss, will be $1,000, or 5% of the amount
      shown for Boat & Boating Equipment whichever shall be the greatest.

      SPECIAL CONDITIONS/REQUIREMENTS:
      An acceptable condition and value survey is required before coverage
      is effective. Coverage may change upon review of the report.
      Co-owner(s) need to complete a supplemental application.
      The hull identification number is required.
      The coverage quoted above is the maximum we could obtain on your boat
      based on the current market value of what we think are similar boats.
      The company requires additional information for boats located in
      Hurricane affected areas. Please complete the enclosed form.

      REQUIRED: Membership in BoatU.S., the nation's largest association of
      recreational boaters with over 25 cost-saving member benefits and
      services (including $50 in towing services) is required with your
      policy. Our annual dues of $19 are in addition to your quote.

      RECOMMENDED: BoatU.S. offers higher option Towing Services which cover
      you up to the specified level in the event you become stranded on the
      water. The average cost of a tow is approx. $325 and a soft
      ungrounding, $525.

      For $150 per incident, add $18
      For $350 per incident, add $52
      For $500 per incident, add $70
      For Unlimited Towing, add $120

      BoatU.S. Marine Insurance is underwritten by the CNA Insurance Group,
      one of the largest insurers in the world for over a century.
      Administration of your policy is handled exclusively by boating experts
      - professional underwriters, claims adjusters, surveyors and salvors
      dispatched by BoatU.S. 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

      BoatU.S. Marine Insurance
      Insuring Boats and Only Boats Since 1966.

      Frequently Asked Questions about Our Quote:
      http://www.boatus.com/insurance/faq.asp
      L8R

      Skip

      Morgan 461 #2
      SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
      See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
      Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

      away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
      Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
    • Ralph Gutzmer
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hi, everybody,

        our MORGAN 41 Classic (german flag), based normally Ft. Lauderdale is
        insured via a german insurance, which also has an office in the US.
        Name: PANTAENIUS should be on the internet-with telephonenumber
        Insurance includes hurricane season with special agreement.
        Boat value: 110.000 US$
        yearly insurance about 2.500 US$.
        deductible. 5200 US$ (but depending on case)

        Theese are the main points from my memory.

        Happy new year all

        Ralph

        SY RELAX