Re: Clothing for Cruising

  • dream41maker
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Rich

      Congratulations on cutting the dock lines! You'll love it!

      We are on a journey up the ICW from Miami to the Chesapeake then
      back down south to the Caribbean for 2 years so clothing is also an
      area of interest for us.

      Canada's east coast can through all kinds of weather at you from hot
      to humid to cold.

      Some thoughts for you:
      - Tilley makes great clothes for traveling and they dry overnight.
      - we use the space bags but we don't have a vacumn on board so we
      just roll the big ones up like the little ones and squeeze the air
      out. We bought them at Bed Bath & Beyond. They have multiple
      packages with various sizes and the price was reasonable. We've only
      had them for a few months but it's working fine.
      - We found a four line retractable clothes line at Home Depot that
      is really slick. We installed it in the V berth and pull it out to
      dry clothes and then it winds back up into a 2 inch space. Less
      than $20.
      - Rayon is a pain as it wrinkles lots and it is hotter to wear than
      cotton.
      - a cotton/polyester blend gives the breathability of cotton and the
      polyester keeps it relatively wrinkle free and dries faster.
      - layer your clothes
      - get a really good fleece jacket
      - Gortex is excellent for a jacket and wind pants

      Fair winds and happy sailing

      Cathy
      Dream Maker 41 Morgan Classic

      --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Shapiro" <mainesails@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Everybody,
      >
      > After 32 years of daysailing with the occasional overnight, I
      finally
      > have the opportunity to hoist anchor for several weeks and
      CRUISE!!!!
      > I'm fitting out for my August cruise north from Portland, Maine up
      the
      > coast towards Canada.
      >
      > So ... I have a question ...
      >
      > After noticing that all my clothing feels damp (even the clean
      clothes
      > in the lockers) after 24 hours on board --- although perhaps the
      24/7
      > rain and fog we've experienced for the last month may have
      something to
      > do with that --- I wonder what people do. Normally, everything I
      wear
      > is cotton. Should I go looking for a week's worth of all polyester
      > clothing including underwear?
      >
      > I'm not even sure I could find polyester socks!
      >
      > Rich
      >

      > --
      6/28/2006