RE: [morganowners] Clothing for Cruising

  • John Howard
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 3:19 AM
      The only ones we have used that we are sure are available in the US is Space
      Bags. Their web site is WWW.myspacebags.com We currently use a Japanese
      brand that we are not sure is available outside Japan. You should be able to
      find some feedback on the web about which ones are best. We used Space Bags
      for a couple of years, they held up great, the seal is good but not as good
      as the Japanese model we use now. I remember the Space Bags holding a seal
      for six months or so and would withstand being tossed around.

      John, Naomi and Wes
      s/v Horizon OI 413 #95
      Kadena Marina, Okinawa Japan

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 4:39 AM
        Thanks John; Bob

        --- John Howard <john.howard@...> wrote:

        > The only ones we have used that we are sure are
        > available in the US is Space
        > Bags. Their web site is WWW.myspacebags.com We
        > currently use a Japanese
        > brand that we are not sure is available outside
        > Japan. You should be able to
        > find some feedback on the web about which ones are
        > best. We used Space Bags
        > for a couple of years, they held up great, the seal
        > is good but not as good
        > as the Japanese model we use now. I remember the
        > Space Bags holding a seal
        > for six months or so and would withstand being
        > tossed around.
        >
        > John, Naomi and Wes
        > s/v Horizon OI 413 #95
        > Kadena Marina, Okinawa Japan

      • Rich Shapiro
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1 5:57 AM

          Thanks everybody!

              Rich

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
              Hi Rich

              Congratulations on cutting the dock lines! You'll love it!

              We are on a journey up the ICW from Miami to the Chesapeake then
              back down south to the Caribbean for 2 years so clothing is also an
              area of interest for us.

              Canada's east coast can through all kinds of weather at you from hot
              to humid to cold.

              Some thoughts for you:
              - Tilley makes great clothes for traveling and they dry overnight.
              - we use the space bags but we don't have a vacumn on board so we
              just roll the big ones up like the little ones and squeeze the air
              out. We bought them at Bed Bath & Beyond. They have multiple
              packages with various sizes and the price was reasonable. We've only
              had them for a few months but it's working fine.
              - We found a four line retractable clothes line at Home Depot that
              is really slick. We installed it in the V berth and pull it out to
              dry clothes and then it winds back up into a 2 inch space. Less
              than $20.
              - Rayon is a pain as it wrinkles lots and it is hotter to wear than
              cotton.
              - a cotton/polyester blend gives the breathability of cotton and the
              polyester keeps it relatively wrinkle free and dries faster.
              - layer your clothes
              - get a really good fleece jacket
              - Gortex is excellent for a jacket and wind pants

              Fair winds and happy sailing

              Cathy
              Dream Maker 41 Morgan Classic

              --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Shapiro" <mainesails@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Everybody,
              >
              > After 32 years of daysailing with the occasional overnight, I
              finally
              > have the opportunity to hoist anchor for several weeks and
              CRUISE!!!!
              > I'm fitting out for my August cruise north from Portland, Maine up
              the
              > coast towards Canada.
              >
              > So ... I have a question ...
              >
              > After noticing that all my clothing feels damp (even the clean
              clothes
              > in the lockers) after 24 hours on board --- although perhaps the
              24/7
              > rain and fog we've experienced for the last month may have
              something to
              > do with that --- I wonder what people do. Normally, everything I
              wear
              > is cotton. Should I go looking for a week's worth of all polyester
              > clothing including underwear?
              >
              > I'm not even sure I could find polyester socks!
              >
              > Rich
              >

              > --
              6/28/2006