Re: [morganowners] First Oil Change

  • Robert Beegel
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19, 2013
      Hey all,

      I just bought a 1972 Morgan 35 in pretty good shape (relatively), and the engine dip stick area is broken off of a Westebeke 45 diesel engine, so the dipstick kind of hangs inside the area.  It was open and was spraying oil into the bilge area when it was running.  Got pretty messy underneath.  So, I plugged it so there would be no more engine spills, but I do have a few questions for anyone with some experience in this.

      1- Does anyone know where to find replacement parts (dipstick or dipstick holding area for this engine because Westebeke doesn't have it?

      2- How many quarts of oil should this engine hold?  (I may recreate my own dipstick and plug together in 1 piece).

      3- If the engine oil is slightly over capacity will it foul the engine or will it spill over into another area like the bilge?
      (I know a little too much oil is better than too little oil, so I want to play it safe until I figure it all out).

      Thanks
      Rob

      On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM, daveo58@... <daveo58@...> wrote:

      I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
      Thx
      Dave

      --
      Robert Beegel
      Vice President, Business Development

      Mailing Address
      Business Operations
      Infographic World, Inc.
      10 Exeter Court
      Northport,  N.Y.  11768  USA

    • daveo58@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 20, 2013
        Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

        Dave

        --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

        > Dave,
        > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
        > Larry Breck
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
        > > Thx
        > > Dave

      • Larry Breck
        Message 3 of 9 , May 20, 2013
          Engine manual specifies straight 30wt, heavy duty diesel grade

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 20, 2013, at 8:04 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

          Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

          Dave

          --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

          > Dave,
          > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
          > Larry Breck
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
          > > Thx
          > > Dave

        • Michael Barnes
          Message 4 of 9 , May 20, 2013
            I run Rotella straight 40 weight for my older perkins 4.154  – sometimes hard to find, but the right stuff !

            From: Larry Breck <breck999@...>
            Date: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:45 PM
            To: "morganowners@yahoogroups.com" <morganowners@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [morganowners] Re: First Oil Change

            Engine manual specifies straight 30wt, heavy duty diesel grade

            Sent from my iPhone

            On May 20, 2013, at 8:04 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

            Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

            Dave

            --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
            > Larry Breck
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
            > > Thx
            > > Dave

          • Kevin Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , May 21, 2013
              My manual highly recommends that the same brand of oil be used for the life if the engine. As understand it, the detergents in different oil brands can "compete" with one another and cause issues.

              Kevin
              S/V SAEL
              Morgan OI 413

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 20, 2013, at 8:04 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

              Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

              Dave

              --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
              > Larry Breck
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
              > > Thx
              > > Dave

            • Mike & Kerri O'Barr
              Message 6 of 9 , May 21, 2013
              • 1 Attachment
              • 115 KB
              From 1976 Perkins Shop Manual.

              Mike

              Lubricating Oils

              Lubricating oils should meet the requirements of the U.S. Ordnance Specifications MI L-L·46152
              r MIL·L·2l04C. The lubricating oils for use in Perkins Diesel engines should have a minimum Vis·
              cosity index of 80.

              Some of these oils are listed below. Any other oils which meet these specifications are also suit-
              able.

              MIL-l-46152

              (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

              Company

              Brand

              S.A.E. Designation

              ()OF j·1SOC)

              lOoF (.1OCI

              Over

              800F (270Cl

              30°F (-1OC)

              BooF (270C)

              B.P. Ltd.

              Vanellus M

              lOW

              20W

              30

              Vanellus M

              20W·50

              2OW·50

              castrol Ltd.

              Castrol/Deusol CR B

              lOW

              20

              30

              Castrol/Deusol CRB

              5w/20

              Castrol/Deusol CRB

              100/30

              lOW/3D

              lOW/3D

              Castrol/Deusal CRB

              2OW/50

              2owl5D

              Deusol RX Super

              20W!40

              20W/40

              A. Duckham & Co. Ltd.

              Fleetol HDX

              10

              20

              30

              o Motor Oil

            • Flying Pig
              Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2013

                It's a mystery...

                My 154 was supposed to take 10 quarts, but for the first 2K or so hours I changed the oil it would take 13.

                However, to my surprise, after two years in the yard, when I changed just before putting it in the water, it was full at 10.

                Now, I've just run it for 40 hours straight, and had a lot of oil in the pads on the engine pan, and had to add nearly a gallon.

                That said, the manual says10 qts,.if my memory serves me properly...

                L8R

                Skip

                When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
                - Dr. Samuel Johnson