First Oil Change

  • daveo58@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 19, 2013
      I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
      Thx
      Dave
    • Larry Breck
      Message 2 of 9 , May 19, 2013
        Dave,
        My 4-154 takes  7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
        Larry Breck

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

        I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
        Thx
        Dave

      • Robert Beegel
        Message 3 of 9 , May 19, 2013
          Hey all,

          I just bought a 1972 Morgan 35 in pretty good shape (relatively), and the engine dip stick area is broken off of a Westebeke 45 diesel engine, so the dipstick kind of hangs inside the area.  It was open and was spraying oil into the bilge area when it was running.  Got pretty messy underneath.  So, I plugged it so there would be no more engine spills, but I do have a few questions for anyone with some experience in this.

          1- Does anyone know where to find replacement parts (dipstick or dipstick holding area for this engine because Westebeke doesn't have it?

          2- How many quarts of oil should this engine hold?  (I may recreate my own dipstick and plug together in 1 piece).

          3- If the engine oil is slightly over capacity will it foul the engine or will it spill over into another area like the bilge?
          (I know a little too much oil is better than too little oil, so I want to play it safe until I figure it all out).

          Thanks
          Rob

          --
          Robert Beegel
          Vice President, Business Development

          Mailing Address
          Business Operations
          Infographic World, Inc.
          10 Exeter Court
          Northport,  N.Y.  11768  USA

        • daveo58@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , May 20, 2013
            Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

            Dave

            --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

            > Dave,
            > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
            > Larry Breck
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
            > > Thx
            > > Dave

          • Larry Breck
            Message 5 of 9 , May 20, 2013
              Engine manual specifies straight 30wt, heavy duty diesel grade

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 20, 2013, at 8:04 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

              Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

              Dave

              --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

              > Dave,
              > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
              > Larry Breck
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
              > > Thx
              > > Dave

            • Michael Barnes
              Message 6 of 9 , May 20, 2013
                I run Rotella straight 40 weight for my older perkins 4.154  – sometimes hard to find, but the right stuff !

                From: Larry Breck <breck999@...>
                Date: Monday, May 20, 2013 9:45 PM
                To: "morganowners@yahoogroups.com" <morganowners@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: Re: [morganowners] Re: First Oil Change

                Engine manual specifies straight 30wt, heavy duty diesel grade

                Sent from my iPhone

                On May 20, 2013, at 8:04 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

                Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

                Dave

                --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

                > Dave,
                > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
                > Larry Breck
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
                > > Thx
                > > Dave

              • Kevin Scott
                Message 7 of 9 , May 21, 2013
                  My manual highly recommends that the same brand of oil be used for the life if the engine. As understand it, the detergents in different oil brands can "compete" with one another and cause issues.

                  Kevin
                  S/V SAEL
                  Morgan OI 413

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On May 20, 2013, at 8:04 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:

                  Thanks so much for the help. Any good recommendations on what oil to use?

                  Dave

                  --- In morganowners@yahoogroups.com, Larry Breck <breck999@...> wrote:

                  > Dave,
                  > My 4-154 takes 7 qts, plus one for the oil filter if you are changing the filter. Fill only to the bottom of the "M" (maximum line) on the dip stick - anything more will just get pushed through the forward crankshaft bearing into the bilge under the engine.
                  > Larry Breck
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On May 19, 2013, at 7:58 PM, "daveo58@..." <daveo58@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I.m going to be doing my first oil change on my Perkins 4-154, how many quarts of oil will it take?
                  > > Thx
                  > > Dave

                • Mike & Kerri O'Barr
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 21, 2013
                  • 1 Attachment
                  • 115 KB
                  From 1976 Perkins Shop Manual.

                  Mike

                  Lubricating Oils

                  Lubricating oils should meet the requirements of the U.S. Ordnance Specifications MI L-L·46152
                  r MIL·L·2l04C. The lubricating oils for use in Perkins Diesel engines should have a minimum Vis·
                  cosity index of 80.

                  Some of these oils are listed below. Any other oils which meet these specifications are also suit-
                  able.

                  MIL-l-46152

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                  Company

                  Brand

                  S.A.E. Designation

                  ()OF j·1SOC)

                  lOoF (.1OCI

                  Over

                  800F (270Cl

                  30°F (-1OC)

                  BooF (270C)

                  B.P. Ltd.

                  Vanellus M

                  lOW

                  20W

                  30

                  Vanellus M

                  20W·50

                  2OW·50

                  castrol Ltd.

                  Castrol/Deusol CR B

                  lOW

                  20

                  30

                  Castrol/Deusol CRB

                  5w/20

                  Castrol/Deusol CRB

                  100/30

                  lOW/3D

                  lOW/3D

                  Castrol/Deusal CRB

                  2OW/50

                  2owl5D

                  Deusol RX Super

                  20W!40

                  20W/40

                  A. Duckham & Co. Ltd.

                  Fleetol HDX

                  10

                  20

                  30

                  o Motor Oil

                • Flying Pig
                  Message 9 of 9 , May 21, 2013

                    It's a mystery...

                    My 154 was supposed to take 10 quarts, but for the first 2K or so hours I changed the oil it would take 13.

                    However, to my surprise, after two years in the yard, when I changed just before putting it in the water, it was full at 10.

                    Now, I've just run it for 40 hours straight, and had a lot of oil in the pads on the engine pan, and had to add nearly a gallon.

                    That said, the manual says10 qts,.if my memory serves me properly...

                    L8R

                    Skip

                    When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.
                    - Dr. Samuel Johnson