Sick A604 - Please check out and give me your opinion

  • mazliqcarth1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2009
      Mine is in a 96 Dodge Caravan. 179,000 miles.

      It does as some have posted, the 1st, 2nd, and then NEUTRAL
      trick. Looked like it was a little over-full on fluid, but color good
      and no burnt smell. In the pan it was much darker.

      It had some fluid above the solenoid pack, so I cleaned and re-installed
      the fluid lines. Put new gaskets on for the solenoid pack. Then replaced
      the input and output speed sensors.

      Dropped the pan and magnet had whiskers. Also had some schrapnel.
      Please check out the photos I posted in Photos under the "Sick A06"
      photo group.

      Third photo is of some strange yellow crispy stuff between the wires
      within the bundle. The yellow stuff was brittle as a cracker. Odd color
      for corrosion. Any clues?

      Please give your honest opinion. Was that normal wear, or has it
      likely chewed up a gear to pieces. Any thoughts on it are appreciated.

      TJ
    • micondie@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 15, 2009
        I don't see how you can get that much schrapnel and not have serious damage
        The yellow stuff looks the same color as the yellow insulation on a
        wire at the upper edge of the harness exposed at the right

        Mike

      • Bayer David
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 15, 2009
          Any of us that have had an A604 know that the general life expectancy is going to be somewhere in the neiborhood, if we are lucky, from 125,000 at the low end to maybe 175,000 miles for ones not made on Monday or Friday. You have hit on nearly all the temorarary fixes that for some reason do usually give a few more thousand miles of relief after that first time the computer kicks the transaxle into its 2nd gear limp or default mode: Transmission vaccum pack, speed sensors and gasket, though sometimes the changing of gaskets and fluid tends to have a detrimental effect itself (ie the old let sleeping dogs lie scenario) the shift pattern run through and sometimes unplugging the battery for 10 to 15 minutes and then letting things reprogram. The only thing in my experience that would be left besides those would be that the computer module itself has failed and a new one or used one could be reprogrammed and substituted at a dealership or very good transmission shop but now you are starting into some real money anyway.  So thats the bad news, along with the facts that #1, all A604's do this and so a used or salvage one is a poor proposition unless you somehow know that it is really low milage and #2, a quality rebuild is going to run around $1500 if done on sight and even more if you obtain a Mopar rebuilt though they did come with a good warranty and part # last time I checked.  The good news is hinted at there, if you can bear the cost, rebuilts are a good proposition, and like the old torqueflites, these transaaxles do lend themselves well to successful rebuilds in which they end up better than new if done at a quality transmission shop.  Yes a pain in the butt, but due to continued excellence in engineering, seldom a fatal blow.
          Dave Bayer