Re: [moogmg1] A# 2 and 3 B 2 and 3 do not work

  • Ken Leonard
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 4:04 PM
      You did not specify what your tech replaced.

      http://www.kleonard.com/gear/mg1.htm

      Read my story, especially the part about the MM5823 chips. It is
      possible your tech replaced the CA3046--an oscillator chip--which
      would not have corrected the problem you describe.

      Note that the MM5823 is just *one* possible diagnosis, but it's
      common. If it's not this, then you'll need to scope out the unit to
      see what's wrong. It could be as simple as keyboard contacts needing
      to be cleaned.

      ...kl...

      On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM, william hayes foster
      <wilfoster@...> wrote:
      > Hi I am new to the group.  I have a MG-1 that works perfectly except 4 notes on the keyboard do not work.  A friend and I tried replacing the chip that the notes are on but the problem came right back.  I'm not sure if we fried the chip the moment after we installed it or what.  I can't seem to find a tech in Ohio.  Don't tell me to call Analogics.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks,
      > Will Foster
    • Todd Fletcher
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 4:47 PM
        I'd be happy to fix it, if you feel like shipping it.  $20hr plus parts.  Should be fairly simple.  I think you are on the right rack with the chip replacement.  There are several chips in the divider section.  Off hand I'm not sure which one corresponds to those notes.

        I've worked on a bunch of these.  Checkout www.babysealclubelectronics.com  for my super MG-1 project.

        Thanks,
        Todd Fletcher
        babysealclub@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29 6:57 PM
          I'm guessing that you tried to replace U3.  If you used a socket, pull the chip out and check for signal on pins 13 and 14 of U2.  If U2 is not putting out signal on these pins then U3 has nothing to divide.  It is possible that only part of U2 is not functioning.  Let me know what you find.

          Thanks,
          Todd