FW: Proposed Street Vacation of Lakeside Blvd. E. to Broadmoor Go lf Club

  • Don Argus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Richard McIver [mailto:Richard.McIver@...]
      Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 10:01 AM
      To: argus@...
      Subject: RE: Proposed Street Vacation of Lakeside Blvd. E. to Broadmoor Golf Club

      Good morning, Mr. Argus!
      I have been woefully slow in responding to this email and I apologize for that.  Thank you for sharing your specific concerns.  Please keep me informed of your efforts for a trail.  If I can be helpful, I am glad to.
      RJM

      >>> Don Argus
      <argus@...> 06/27/01 10:24AM >>>
      Dear Council Member McIver:

      Thank you very much for your personal response to my (perhaps too strident) letter regarding the  Broadmoor land swap issue.  I appreciate and agree with the concern you express for the quality of the environment, and for the wetlands in the Foster Island area in particular.  I also agree that acquiring the small wedge of land that the public already uses is a worthy goal.

      I am nevertheless very disappointed in the vote that the Council took to approve the Golf Club's proposal, and continue to believe that this has harmed the public interest.  And here's why:

      You mention that the Arboretum Lakeside Trial proposal was dropped because the proposal would harm the wetlands there.  You also stated that none of the trail proposals used the Lakeside Boulevard right-of-way.

      But if the trail proposal had utilized the right-of-way, the environmental concerns would have been moot.  And why was the public right-of-way not proposed as the trail route?  Because a private and exclusive interest had usurped the right-of-way for its own use, fencing out the public.  The problem is not the trail, the problem is the driving range.  It is the driving range (which already impacts the environment through chemical runoff and irrigation) that should accommodate a solution, not the wetlands.

      I continue to believe that the absence of connectivity, even for pedestrians, between the Foster Island area and Madison Park is a major gap in Seattle's urban fabric.  Making this gap permanent to serve the private interests of an exclusive club is an affront to the public.

      I will continue to advocate some kind of trail connection.  Perhaps it needs to go between the driving range and the rest of the course, or right along the driving range fence.

      Thank you for your serious contemplation of the issues surrounding this matter, and for your regard for the concerns of a citizen.

      Sincerely,

      Don Argus
      2411 East Calhoun Street