Re: [montlakeforum] Montlake Community Club in the news about vent shaft

  • freya
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Good for you. Great response, great location.
      Freya Skarin

      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transportation/106703_transit31.shtml

> [...]
      > residential, commercial or institutional property in
      > Montlake.
      >

      > "That would leave what kind of property?" asked King
      > County
      > Councilmember Cynthia Sullivan, who chairs Sound
      > Transit's Central Link
      > Oversight Committee.
      >

      > Endlich told the committee that there are few vacant
      > lots in the
      > Montlake community.
      >

      > * * *
      >

      > Once again, Montlake is being portrayed as NIMBY
      > (not in my backyard),
      > when in fact we have worked hard to be constructive
      > participants in this
      > process. I have authored a letter to the editor
      > response to the P-I:
      >

      > The Montlake Community supports regional
      > transportation solutions and
      > welcomes a vent shaft for Sound Transit's light rail
      > tunnel in our
      > backyard. However we see no reason to impact homes,
      > churches, parks or
      > neighborhood businesses when a perfect location
      > exists just a few yards
      > away from the Hop-In Grocery - inside the loop ramps
      > to highway 520.
      > There's plenty of room for a vent shaft even with
      > the most ambitious of
      > highway plans. All we need is for WSDOT and Sound
      > Transit to agree on
      > how this property will be used for construction
      > staging, and everybody
      > wins.
      >

      > Jonathan Dubman
      >
      > President, Montlake Community Club
      >

      > * * *
      >

      > Here's the full story:
      >

      > I spoke with Scott Iverson, owner of the Hop-In.
      > Apparently he and Les
      > Rubstello of WSDOT discussed this, and Scott learned
      > that Sound Transit
      > asked if they could purchase it, and Les Rubstello's
      > initial automatic
      > response was "No." The fact that Sound Transit asked
      > means it obviously
      > wasn't an unworkable site in terms of tunnel
      > engineering. But then Les
      > admitted that the only thing WSDOT was likely to
      > need in that area was a
      > place to park construction vehicles, and when asked,
      > said WSDOT could
      > very well be willing to sell the site once they're
      > done with it.
      > Clearly, all we need is for WSDOT and Sound Transit
      > to come to an
      > agreement on construction staging. The site is way
      > bigger than the
      > footprint of the vent shaft housing and associated
      > parking. The owner of
      > the Hop-In is also quite willing to discuss renting
      > out some parking
      > space across the street. I'm sure we can work
      > something out. It's
      > obvious that this is the right place to put it.
      >

      > I will now write to Sound Transit and Councilmember
      > Cynthia Sullivan,
      > who may not have heard of this better idea. Kudos to

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Jonathan Dubman
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        I can clarify the situation here.

        Sound Transit is only conducting a study at this point. Several things
        would have to happen for any construction to be approved. The draft
        study must be completed, then it must go up for public comment (for 45
        days I think), then the final study must be released, and then Sound
        Transit board must select an alignment, and funding and final green
        light must be obtained. If all that happens, and if the Montlake tunnel
        alignment is chosen, then they'll be constructing a vent shaft somewhere
        in Montlake in maybe 5-10 years.

        It's pretty clear that it's in Montlake's interest to advocate for the
        loop ramps on WSDOT property to be among the sites considered for
        placement of the vent shaft. I also happen to believe that the Montlake
        tunnel alignment are likely to be more cost effective than the other
        very costly alternatives being considered by Sound Transit (e.g. closer
        to the University Bridge), but that's a bigger and deeper (so to speak!)
        issue. At this point, the entire North Link project is in political
        jeopardy, but that's no reason to be complacent.

        Cynthia Sullivan is only one of a great many decision makers in this
        process. She just happened to be quoted in the article. I am sure she
        will be supportive. I think Don's letter will probably suffice to bring
        the issue to her attention, and I know that Sound Transit team is aware
        of it. When the draft EIS is finally released in April or May, the MCC
        can engage in a campaign to get this loop ramp alternative studied in
        the final EIS, with a parallel political campaign to see to it that this
        alternative is the one that gets chosen, should the Montlake tunnel
        alignment - and the whole project - go forward. I think the message is
        clear that Sound Transit ought to include this. If there's time, I still
        believe it would really help their project to include the loop ramp vent
        shaft location *before* the draft EIS is released. I plan to make that
        point explicit. If you want to make this case yourself -- and it can't
        hurt to do so -- feel free to forward your email to Lauren Swift,
        Community Relations Coordinator, swiftl@...

        Jonathan
      • Oliver Ochs
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
          With respect to the proposed tunnel under Montlake and the associated
          vent shaft

          In my opinion it's hard to fight the proposed bridge expansion on the
          one hand, and fight proposed mass transit on the other hand. I think
          you have to offer an alternative solution. My thoughts have always run
          to creation of reliable mass transit to cover the "lack" of capacity on
          the roadway for private cars.

          I do have some questions though:

          1) How much room exactly will the tunnel vent shaft take (ie: will it
          really eliminate the Hop-In-Grocery, or just part of the parking lot,
          or how much of St Demitrios' parking lot would be swallowed up?)

          2) By way of compromise, can anyone think of a solution that can allow
          us to "trade" something with WSDOT for the use of the land inside the
          loop onramp to eastbound 520? This would be, obviously, the most
          desirable place to put any kind of vent, although the solution would
          limit possible future changes to traffic routing onto 520 during the
          revision of that corridor. This would be a way to put it all together
          for a more comprehensive package as all proposed changes affect our
          neighborhood.

          3) With respect to the meeting at MOHI on 2/6, is this a community
          meeting?

          Thanks

          Oliver
        • Deborah Green
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
            How much more pollution is this vent going to throw into the air?

            deborah green

[...]

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/