Re: [montlakeforum] West Montlake Park

  • jhutch7980@cs.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      Thanks for the update. I was appalled to see the way they destroyed the park.
      It seems ironic that the name of the company that did the damage is Foss
      Environmental. Maybe this is too hard a question to ask, but I have always
      wondered why the yacht club has been allowed to take over most of the
      waterfront on that park as well as extending its docks way out into the bay.
      Is it time to raise this issue too? Does the neighborhood need to get a
      lawyer to take the yacht club (their fire) the Foss folks, or the parks dept
      to task to get the park fixed or improved? Please let me know if more
      meetings are planned so I can attend. While I live on the other side of the
      blvd I use that park all the time. thanks. John Hutchinson
    • jhutch7980@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
      • Paul or Beth
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
          I can say for sure that the two docks to the north, the ones that go out
          from what appears to be park land are newer than the other yacht club
          facilities. I think they have been there for about 25 years. I also retain
          a vague impression that construction might have been allowed by some kind of
          fast shuffle. I want to emphasize that this is a very hazy memory, but
          there may be a record somewhere. Perhaps they went through all the right
          hoops, but didn't inform the neighborhood. I'm not sure, but I think there
          was something awry. As we know the Park Department is now under pressure to
          address locations where private individuals or groups have encroached on
          park property. It seems unlikely that we could get the docks to go away at
          this time, but it would be interesting to know the details of the
          arrangement whereby the yacht clubs seems to be occupying water that
          pertains to the park. Are they paying for this privilege? Should they be?
          If not, why not? How much money is involved? Where does it go?

          Regarding the question from Rob Wilkenson, of how to get some additional
          restoration to the park area, it seems that this might be a good project for
          the Neighborhood Matching Fund grant program. The grant cycle for amounts
          up to $10,000 is every two months I believe, so it might be that some
          support could be had within the relevant time frame of the work that is to
          be done. For information on the Neighborhood Matching Fund one should
          contact Karen Ko at the University Neighborhood Service Center. Her phone
          is 233 - 3732. Her email is the standard city employee format,
          Karen.ko@...

          Paul Gibson

          > From: jhutch7980@...
          > Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:38:59 EST
          > To: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [montlakeforum] West Montlake Park
          >
          > Thanks for the update. I was appalled to see the way they destroyed the park.
          > It seems ironic that the name of the company that did the damage is Foss
          > Environmental. Maybe this is too hard a question to ask, but I have always
          > wondered why the yacht club has been allowed to take over most of the
          > waterfront on that park as well as extending its docks way out into the bay.
          > Is it time to raise this issue too? Does the neighborhood need to get a
          > lawyer to take the yacht club (their fire) the Foss folks, or the parks dept
          > to task to get the park fixed or improved? Please let me know if more
          > meetings are planned so I can attend. While I live on the other side of the
          > blvd I use that park all the time. thanks. John Hutchinson

        • Rob Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2002
            on 3/1/02 8:38 AM, jhutch7980@... at jhutch7980@... wrote:

            > Thanks (Karen and John) for your email and for your suggestion about the
            Neighborhood Matching Grant and other useful advise. We have explored this
            idea, however it is the current plan of the Parks Department to make repairs
            as soon as possible. We think the Yacht Club may have something to do with
            this as Opening Day is upon us. If, indeed, "repairs" are made in the next
            few week, it will very difficult to convince my neighbors to apply for a
            grant that will only disrupt the park again. So, it's now or never.

            Carol Baker had promised me the work plan Foss Environmental had agreed to
            contribute this Wednesday, but today said that the Work Plan is "under
            negotiation" with Foss Environmental and that it would be inappropriate to
            forward a copy of this document before final negotiations have been
            resolved. Unfortunately, in my conversation with Foss Environmental they are
            only interested (and rightfully so) in the damage they did to the park and
            not to the damage caused by others. So, my question which has yet to be
            answered is: Who will pay for the damages not attributed to Foss
            Environmental? The Yacht Club? The Parks Department (for the emergency
            vehicles that used the park)? Anyway, I'll keep you posted on this. I have
            the name of the property manager at the Parks Dept. who is negotiating this
            agreement and I'll ask a few more annoying questions and see what happens.
            You would think that it would be easy to get a few extra loads of dirt to
            spread around -NOT.

            My understanding is that the Seattle Yacht Club has a long term lease to
            submerged city property. About six years ago this lease was renewed with the
            city for an undisclosed sum of money (I'll bet it was a good deal) so that
            the Yacht Club could make repairs to its docks and amortize this investment
            over the duration of the new lease. Much of what looks like Yacht Club
            property is actually part of West Montlake Park. For example, the lawn on
            the west side of the building up to where the anchor is located is public
            property, however the Yacht Club maintains this area and it provides a start
            contrast to the condition of the rest of the park.

            Thanks very much for taking an interest in this great little place, and I'll
            keep you informed. Also, if you feel motivated to email Ken Bounds,
            Superintendent, Seattle Parks and Recreation. His email address is:

            ken.bounds@...