Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]

Expand Messages
  • Scott Hill
    Jeff, I agree with your comments. My home was burglarized and the follow-up spam solicitations have made my already nervous wife and older children anxious. I
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Jeff, 

      I agree with your comments. My home was burglarized and the follow-up spam solicitations have made my already nervous wife and older children anxious. I believe the intentions are good, yet the timing makes this especially difficult. There have been MORE than 8 burglaries throughout the entire geographic footprint of this neighborhood and any MO that resembles the intruders is simply unwelcome in my opinion.

      What we need today is heightened awareness and the threads on this forum are a sign that we are all looking out for one another. This will allow us all to feel more comfortable in Montlake with time. 

      Scott, I too thank you for coming forward. 

      SDH

      Scott D. Hill
      (206) 679-0719

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 31, 2010, at 11:48 PM, "Jeff Williams (MMPC)" <Jeff.Williams@...> wrote:

       

      I’m going to say thank you for coming forward on this because it is the only positive thing I can possibly say to a visit to my home that is not solicited.  I’m going to take the moment to go on to a soapbox (with apologies to anyone who needs them) to suggest that just because a home visit is legally allowed, it is not preferred by many and, as we see here, can cause some serious concern.

       

      By extension, door to door spam (which is how I’m going to categorize this without intending offense) is far worse than other forms of intrusion such as robocalls.

       

      Scott—because of your visit today and the recent burglaries I have… for the first time in my life… considered buying a gun in addition to my alarm system.  I effing hate guns and I’m not at all happy about even having to think about this.  I don’t want you to feel bad about this but I definitely want you to take it back as a point of discussion to whoever sent you out this weekend.

       

      As for politics and trying to get votes—don’t forget that we all have the option to vote early.  I voted 10 days ago (and wouldn’t be surprised if that was the norm)—even without the negative fallout from your visit, you failed in your goal by going last minute.

       

      From: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of scottforbes
      Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 11:34 PM
      To: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]

       

       

      Actually I was the man with the pile of papers (hi Jeff), and I'm afraid the explanation has more to do with politics than burglary: Tuesday is the last day to mail in your ballot, and campaign volunteers are knocking on doors all over the state right now to remind people who haven't sent theirs in yet. It turns out the campaign office had an incorrect address for Steven Wilkes, which is how my sandy blond hair and I ended up looking for him on Jeff's doorstep earlier today.

      If it's any consolation I marked the "doesn't live here" box when I turned my papers back in, so you probably won't get any more visitors looking for Steven. :-)

      -- Scott

      (P.S.: In any other forum I'd be happy to talk your ears off about candidates and ballot initiatives and so forth, but as a matter of policy the Montlake Forum is non-partisan, so I'm carefully avoiding any mention of specific candidates or parties here. Thanks.)

      --- In montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Williams (MMPC)" <Jeff.Williams@...> wrote:
      >
      > Just to revive this thread... I had two unexpected visits today. Each was characterized by extremely loud knocking at the door and the person(s) saying they were in the wrong place. The first was a middle aged white couple holding a flower pot. They immediately said "Oh, I think we have the wrong address." The second was a white man with light brown/sandy blond hair cropped short who had a pile of papers and asked to speak to "Steven Wilkes" (who, of course, does not reside here).
      >
      > While this may, simply, be a coincidence it seemed close enough to the M.O. of the previous burglaries that I thought I should share it with the list.
      >
      > From: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Noga
      > Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:52 AM
      > To: mcg@...; montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
      >
      >
      >
      > Regarding the recent robberies:
      >
      > The woman are in custody
      >
      > They will be arraigned today or this week.
      >
      > They were in custody before, SPD let them go and they robbed two more houses in our neighborhood.
      >
      > PLEASE, for your own good, if you do become robbed or broken into DEMAND that the police come and look for prints, That was the only way these woman were connected to one of the robberies. Scott Hill demanded the police look for prints: and surprise surprise ; they were there. In my case as well as with the two recent robberies the Police said it wasn't worth their time as these criminals where latex gloves. Well maybe if they are robbing homes in Broadmoor, but these were sloppy, brazen drug addicts with priors. They admitted to 6 Robberies in Montlake 5 or so in Queen Anne/Magnolia and a half dozen in Redmond but I doubt their court appointed attorney will suggest they repeat their previous statements.
      >
      > We would like to think the Police have our interests aligned with theirs but they really don't.
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > > To: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com<mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com>
      > > From: mcg@...<mailto:mcg@...>
      > > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:57:41 -0700
      > > Subject: Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
      > >
      > > On Oct 22,2010, at 3:46 PM, Vadim Meleshuk wrote:
      > >
      > > > How about taking photos of suspicious "lost" folks and walking them to their supposed destination? I'd also ask for their name and then ID to see if that provokes suspicious behavior.
      > >
      > > I guess that would definitely make me into someone you would find "suspicious". I am reluctant to give my ID to police officers, let alone others. Honestly, while I totally appreciate where you're coming from - and offering to walk people to where their going is generous as well as useful - I would be very uncomfortable being asked for my papers. And combine that with having my picture taken without my consent... I would wonder what in the world I had just gotten myself into!
      > >
      > > Now, how I reconcile that with my general opinion that citizen photography in general is a very good thing, I'm not sure. :)
      > >
      > > - Michael
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > ------------------------------------
      > >
      > > You received this email courtesy of the Montlake Forum / Montlake Flyer mailing list.
      > > For help, send email to forum-moderator@...<mailto:forum-moderator@...>! Groups Links
      > >
      > >
      > >
      >

    • Glenn Fleishman
      ... I wanted to thank everyone for sharing information about their burglaries and the strange solicitations as it makes my wife and I feel like we have a
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        On 11/1/10 at 7:32 AM, Scott Hill <sdhdain@...> wrote:

        >What we need today is heightened awareness and the threads on
        >this forum are a sign that we are all looking out for one
        >another. This will allow us all to feel more comfortable in
        >Montlake with time.

        I wanted to thank everyone for sharing information about their
        burglaries and the strange solicitations as it makes my wife and
        I feel like we have a better sense of what's going on in the
        neighborhood. Montlake has always been a relatively safe
        neighborhood, with spates of burglaries and car prowls, but this
        latest batch has made us quite alert.

        This is better than neighborhood watch in terms of immediacy!
        --
        Glenn Fleishman . seattle . washington
        reporter . columnist . erstwhile programmer
        the seattle times . the economist . tidbits . macworld
        ebooks on networking, security . takecontrolbooks.com
        email sent to me will not be quoted unless you allow me
        email sent from me is intended to be private unless noted otherwise
      • L. Gray
        ... Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone] There is something very unsettling about all of this. We have been burglarized, something you never quite get
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 1, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
          There is something very unsettling about all of this. We have been burglarized, something you never quite get over, even two decades past. But the fear of people knocking at your door is equally disturbing, to say nothing of the feeling of the dread that seems to be spreading. It doesn’t seem unwarranted, but I hope we can mitigate what seems to be a real  problem by putting our heads together, before one of us shoots a neighbor coming for a cup of sugar (or a glass of wine). I have noticed that certain parts of the neighborhood seem very dark, and perhaps lighting can help some. This time of year is so dark anyway and pretty soon we lose daylight saving. The bottom line line is that I share your concerns, your discomfort, but do not want to lose the sense of community that we have left.

          And we really do have to put our heads together on this. Burglary is a low priority for the police, the perps are seldom caught, the consequences of conviction are not severe. Difficult, but not insurmountable.

          Lester Gray
           
           
             

          Wednesday night around 11:30PM, we got a knock at the front door.  Then the person actually tried the door knob which was locked.  When we asked who was there, the answer was, " Is this 1602 East Lynn?" This, of course, is not the correct address.  We looked out a side window and saw the person who was a short male, dark skinned with an odd crown-like hat.  We call 911 and reported it immediately.  The police searched our property and the surrounding area.  We don't know if anyone was stopped.  The police were aware of the break-ins in Montlake and said there were approximately seven squad cars in the area.  We felt they make a quick response.

          Karen Wood

           
          ----- Original Message -----
          From: Jeff Williams (MMPC) <mailto:Jeff.Williams@...>  
          To: Andrew Noga <mailto:andrewnoga@...> ;mcg@...;montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
          Sent: 10/31/2010 6:09:06 PM
          Subject: RE: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]

            
          Just to revive this thread∑  I had two unexpected visits today.  Each was characterized by extremely loud knocking at the door and the person(s) saying they were in the wrong place.  The first was a middle aged white couple holding a flower pot.  They immediately said „Oh, I think we have the wrong address.‰  The second was a white man with light brown/sandy blond hair cropped short who had a pile of papers and asked to speak to „Steven Wilkes‰ (who, of course, does not reside here).
          While this may, simply, be a coincidence it seemed close enough to the M.O. of the previous burglaries that I thought I should share it with the list.

          From: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Noga
          Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:52 AM
          To: mcg@...; montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: RE: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
           

          Regarding the recent robberies:
           
          The woman are in custody
           
          They will be arraigned today or this week.
           
          They were in custody before, SPD let them go and they robbed two more houses in our neighborhood.
           
          PLEASE, for your own good, if you do become robbed or broken into DEMAND that the police come and look for prints, That was the only way these woman were connected to one of the robberies. Scott Hill demanded the police look for prints: and surprise surprise ; they were there. In my case as well as with the two recent robberies the Police said it wasn't worth their time as these criminals where latex gloves. Well maybe if they are robbing homes in Broadmoor, but these were sloppy, brazen drug addicts with priors.  They admitted to 6 Robberies in Montlake 5 or so in Queen Anne/Magnolia and a half dozen in Redmond but I doubt their court appointed attorney will suggest they repeat their previous statements.
           
          We would like to think the Police have our interests aligned with theirs but they really don't.
           
           

           
          > To: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
          > From: mcg@...
          > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:57:41 -0700
          > Subject: Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
          >
          > On Oct 22,2010, at 3:46 PM, Vadim Meleshuk wrote:
          >
          > > How about taking photos of suspicious „lost‰ folks and walking them to their supposed destination? I‚d also ask for their name and then ID to see if that provokes suspicious behavior.
          >
          > I guess that would definitely make me into someone you would find "suspicious". I am reluctant to give my ID to police officers, let alone others. Honestly, while I totally appreciate where you're coming from ˜ and offering to walk people to where their going is generous as well as useful ˜ I would be very uncomfortable being asked for my papers. And combine that with having my picture taken without my consent... I would wonder what in the world I had just gotten myself into!
          >
          > Now, how I reconcile that with my general opinion that citizen photography in general is a very good thing, I'm not sure. :)
          >
          > ˜ Michael
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > You received this email courtesy of the Montlake Forum / Montlake Flyer mailing list.
          > For help, send email to forum-moderator@...! Groups Links
          >
          > <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/montlakeforum/
          >
          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/montlakeforum/join
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > montlakeforum-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > montlakeforum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          > montlakeforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
          >
          > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >


             


        • Nina
          I m glad to know what s going on in the neighborhood, and to be receiving the advice of others on the topic of burglaries. I ve been curious as to whether the
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 2, 2010
          • 0 Attachment
            I'm glad to know what's going on in the neighborhood, and to be receiving the advice of others on the topic of burglaries. I've been curious as to whether the 8 (?) recent Montlake break-ins/attempted break-ins were in houses that had a house alarm sign posted in the yard/windows or not.

            I've also been wondering why not all the reports have shown up on the Seattle.gov crime map: http://web5.seattle.gov/mnm/policereports.aspx

            Thanks to everyone who shared,

            Nina




            --- In montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com, "L. Gray" <lestg@...> wrote:
            >
            > > There is something very unsettling about all of this. We have been
            > > burglarized, something you never quite get over, even two decades past. But
            > > the fear of people knocking at your door is equally disturbing, to say nothing
            > > of the feeling of the dread that seems to be spreading. It doesn’t seem
            > > unwarranted, but I hope we can mitigate what seems to be a real problem by
            > > putting our heads together, before one of us shoots a neighbor coming for a
            > > cup of sugar (or a glass of wine). I have noticed that certain parts of the
            > > neighborhood seem very dark, and perhaps lighting can help some. This time of
            > > year is so dark anyway and pretty soon we lose daylight saving. The bottom
            > > line line is that I share your concerns, your discomfort, but do not want to
            > > lose the sense of community that we have left.
            > >
            > > And we really do have to put our heads together on this. Burglary is a low
            > > priority for the police, the perps are seldom caught, the consequences of
            > > conviction are not severe. Difficult, but not insurmountable.
            > >
            > > Lester Gray
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > > Wednesday night around 11:30PM, we got a knock at the front door. Then the
            > > person actually tried the door knob which was locked. When we asked who was
            > > there, the answer was, " Is this 1602 East Lynn?" This, of course, is not the
            > > correct address. We looked out a side window and saw the person who was a
            > > short male, dark skinned with an odd crown-like hat. We call 911 and reported
            > > it immediately. The police searched our property and the surrounding area.
            > > We don't know if anyone was stopped. The police were aware of the break-ins
            > > in Montlake and said there were approximately seven squad cars in the area.
            > > We felt they make a quick response.
            > >
            > > Karen Wood
            > >
            > >
            > >> ----- Original Message -----
            > >> From: Jeff Williams (MMPC) <mailto:Jeff.Williams@...>
            > >> To: Andrew Noga <mailto:andrewnoga@...>
            > >> ;mcg@...;montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
            > >> Sent: 10/31/2010 6:09:06 PM
            > >> Subject: RE: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
            > >>
            > >>
            > >> Just to revive this threadâˆ` I had two unexpected visits today. Each was
            > >> characterized by extremely loud knocking at the door and the person(s) saying
            > >> they were in the wrong place. The first was a middle aged white couple
            > >> holding a flower pot. They immediately said „Oh, I think we have the wrong
            > >> address.‰ The second was a white man with light brown/sandy blond hair
            > >> cropped short who had a pile of papers and asked to speak to „Steven Wilkes‰
            > >> (who, of course, does not reside here).
            > >> While this may, simply, be a coincidence it seemed close enough to the M.O.
            > >> of the previous burglaries that I thought I should share it with the list.
            > >>
            > >> From: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com] On
            > >> Behalf Of Andrew Noga
            > >> Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:52 AM
            > >> To: mcg@...; montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
            > >> Subject: RE: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
            > >>
            > >>
            > >> Regarding the recent robberies:
            > >>
            > >> The woman are in custody
            > >>
            > >> They will be arraigned today or this week.
            > >>
            > >> They were in custody before, SPD let them go and they robbed two more houses
            > >> in our neighborhood.
            > >>
            > >> PLEASE, for your own good, if you do become robbed or broken into DEMAND that
            > >> the police come and look for prints, That was the only way these woman were
            > >> connected to one of the robberies. Scott Hill demanded the police look for
            > >> prints: and surprise surprise ; they were there. In my case as well as with
            > >> the two recent robberies the Police said it wasn't worth their time as these
            > >> criminals where latex gloves. Well maybe if they are robbing homes in
            > >> Broadmoor, but these were sloppy, brazen drug addicts with priors. They
            > >> admitted to 6 Robberies in Montlake 5 or so in Queen Anne/Magnolia and a half
            > >> dozen in Redmond but I doubt their court appointed attorney will suggest they
            > >> repeat their previous statements.
            > >>
            > >> We would like to think the Police have our interests aligned with theirs but
            > >> they really don't.
            > >>
            > >>
            > >>
            > >>
            > >>> > To: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
            > >>> > From: mcg@...
            > >>> > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:57:41 -0700
            > >>> > Subject: Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
            > >>> >
            > >>> > On Oct 22,2010, at 3:46 PM, Vadim Meleshuk wrote:
            > >>> >
            > >>>> > > How about taking photos of suspicious „lost‰ folks and walking them to
            > >>>> their supposed destination? I‚d also ask for their name and then ID to see
            > >>>> if that provokes suspicious behavior.
            > >>> >
            > >>> > I guess that would definitely make me into someone you would find
            > >>> "suspicious". I am reluctant to give my ID to police officers, let alone
            > >>> others. Honestly, while I totally appreciate where you're coming from ˜ and
            > >>> offering to walk people to where their going is generous as well as useful ˜
            > >>> I would be very uncomfortable being asked for my papers. And combine that
            > >>> with having my picture taken without my consent... I would wonder what in
            > >>> the world I had just gotten myself into!
            > >>> >
            > >>> > Now, how I reconcile that with my general opinion that citizen photography
            > >>> in general is a very good thing, I'm not sure. :)
            > >>> >
            > >>> > ˜ Michael
            > >>> >
            > >>> >
            > >>> >
            > >>> >
            > >>> > ------------------------------------
            > >>> >
            > >>> > You received this email courtesy of the Montlake Forum / Montlake Flyer
            > >>> mailing list.
            > >>> > For help, send email to forum-moderator@...! Groups Links
            > >>> >
            > >>> >
            > >>> >
            > >>
            > >
            > >
            > >
            > >
            >
          • Dave M.
            MCC FYI; American and Greek flags flags stolen from flag poles at St Demetrios off Boyer Ave Fri or Sat nights. - Original Message ----- From:
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2010
            • 0 Attachment
              MCC FYI; American and Greek flags flags stolen from flag poles at St Demetrios off Boyer Ave Fri or Sat nights.              - Original Message -----
              Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 10:50 PM
              Subject: Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]

               

              Following up on this thread...


              My door was also knocked upon this evening by several individuals unknown to me.  All had taken great care to conceal their true appearance with varying disguises.  

              But they will be easy to recognize in the future, because of their short stature and high pitched voices...

              And they seemed easily distracted with candy...

              Happy Halloween!

              Peter

              claiming to 
              On Oct 31, 2010, at 11:34 PM, scottforbes wrote:

               

              Actually I was the man with the pile of papers (hi Jeff), and I'm afraid the explanation has more to do with politics than burglary: Tuesday is the last day to mail in your ballot, and campaign volunteers are knocking on doors all over the state right now to remind people who haven't sent theirs in yet. It turns out the campaign office had an incorrect address for Steven Wilkes, which is how my sandy blond hair and I ended up looking for him on Jeff's doorstep earlier today.

              If it's any consolation I marked the "doesn't live here" box when I turned my papers back in, so you probably won't get any more visitors looking for Steven. :-)

              -- Scott

              (P.S.: In any other forum I'd be happy to talk your ears off about candidates and ballot initiatives and so forth, but as a matter of policy the Montlake Forum is non-partisan, so I'm carefully avoiding any mention of specific candidates or parties here. Thanks.)

              --- In montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Williams (MMPC)" <Jeff.Williams@...> wrote:
              >
              > Just to revive this thread... I had two unexpected visits today. Each was characterized by extremely loud knocking at the door and the person(s) saying they were in the wrong place. The first was a middle aged white couple holding a flower pot. They immediately said "Oh, I think we have the wrong address." The second was a white man with light brown/sandy blond hair cropped short who had a pile of papers and asked to speak to "Steven Wilkes" (who, of course, does not reside here).
              >
              > While this may, simply, be a coincidence it seemed close enough to the M.O. of the previous burglaries that I thought I should share it with the list.
              >
              > From: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Noga
              > Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:52 AM
              > To: mcg@...; montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: RE: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
              >
              >
              >
              > Regarding the recent robberies:
              >
              > The woman are in custody
              >
              > They will be arraigned today or this week.
              >
              > They were in custody before, SPD let them go and they robbed two more houses in our neighborhood.
              >
              > PLEASE, for your own good, if you do become robbed or broken into DEMAND that the police come and look for prints, That was the only way these woman were connected to one of the robberies. Scott Hill demanded the police look for prints: and surprise surprise ; they were there. In my case as well as with the two recent robberies the Police said it wasn't worth their time as these criminals where latex gloves. Well maybe if they are robbing homes in Broadmoor, but these were sloppy, brazen drug addicts with priors. They admitted to 6 Robberies in Montlake 5 or so in Queen Anne/Magnolia and a half dozen in Redmond but I doubt their court appointed attorney will suggest they repeat their previous statements.
              >
              > We would like to think the Police have our interests aligned with theirs but they really don't.
              >
              >
              >
              >
              > > To: montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com<mailto:montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com>
              > > From: mcg@...<mailto:mcg@...>
              > > Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 05:57:41 -0700
              > > Subject: Re: [Montlake] Catching burglars [was: Zone]
              > >
              > > On Oct 22,2010, at 3:46 PM, Vadim Meleshuk wrote:
              > >
              > > > How about taking photos of suspicious "lost" folks and walking them to their supposed destination? I'd also ask for their name and then ID to see if that provokes suspicious behavior.
              > >
              > > I guess that would definitely make me into someone you would find "suspicious". I am reluctant to give my ID to police officers, let alone others. Honestly, while I totally appreciate where you're coming from - and offering to walk people to where their going is generous as well as useful - I would be very uncomfortable being asked for my papers. And combine that with having my picture taken without my consent... I would wonder what in the world I had just gotten myself into!
              > >
              > > Now, how I reconcile that with my general opinion that citizen photography in general is a very good thing, I'm not sure. :)
              > >
              > > - Michael
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > > ------------------------------------
              > >
              > > You received this email courtesy of the Montlake Forum / Montlake Flyer mailing list.
              > > For help, send email to forum-moderator@...<mailto:forum-moderator@...>! Groups Links
              > >
              > >
              > >
              >


            • aaronilk
              Hi Glenn, this is Aaron, your neighbor across the street. This is my first post to this forum (I m new to this Yahoo template), but have 20K+ posts on other
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 17, 2010
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Glenn, this is Aaron, your neighbor across the street. This is my first post to this forum (I'm new to this Yahoo template), but have 20K+ posts on other styles of forums so hopefully I can pick it up quickly. I'd like to take better advantage of it for one of the reasons you stated, quick access!


                I'm going to work on trying to get our immediate block organized. I have an archaic copy of neighborhood info from Mrs Bagshaw (sp?), but am hoping to get it more up to date and possibly even have a block meeting to discuss these concepts in depth. Watch for me to stop by in the near future...

                The Block Watch/Disaster Preparedness meeting last night was disappointingly anemic, I hope some conversation on here motivates other blocks to get organized and hopefully follow the lead of other neighborhoods like W seattle and Wallingford with their Hubs. These guys are amazingly organized up to and including HAM radio communication. As the son of a retired Police Chief and a HAM operator these concepts interest me very much...



                --- In montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Fleishman <glenn@...> wrote:
                >
                > On 11/1/10 at 7:32 AM, Scott Hill <sdhdain@...> wrote:
                >
                > >What we need today is heightened awareness and the threads on
                > >this forum are a sign that we are all looking out for one
                > >another. This will allow us all to feel more comfortable in
                > >Montlake with time.
                >
                > I wanted to thank everyone for sharing information about their
                > burglaries and the strange solicitations as it makes my wife and
                > I feel like we have a better sense of what's going on in the
                > neighborhood. Montlake has always been a relatively safe
                > neighborhood, with spates of burglaries and car prowls, but this
                > latest batch has made us quite alert.
                >
                > This is better than neighborhood watch in terms of immediacy!
                > --
                > Glenn Fleishman . seattle . washington
                > reporter . columnist . erstwhile programmer
                > the seattle times . the economist . tidbits . macworld
                > ebooks on networking, security . takecontrolbooks.com
                > email sent to me will not be quoted unless you allow me
                > email sent from me is intended to be private unless noted otherwise
                >
              • Joan Machlis
                I d like to try to organize the blocks around us--Calhoun between 19th and possibly 24. Would it be useful to have a meeting with the people who want to take
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 17, 2010
                • 0 Attachment
                  I'd like to try to organize the blocks around us--Calhoun between 19th and possibly 24.  Would it be useful to have a meeting with the people who want to take this on after last evening's meeting?  That way we could compare maps, strategies, etc.  I really enjoyed the meeting and thank those responsible for pulling it together.  Joan Machlis
                  On Nov 17, 2010, at 12:37 PM, aaronilk wrote:

                   

                  Hi Glenn, this is Aaron, your neighbor across the street. This is my first post to this forum (I'm new to this Yahoo template), but have 20K+ posts on other styles of forums so hopefully I can pick it up quickly. I'd like to take better advantage of it for one of the reasons you stated, quick access!

                  I'm going to work on trying to get our immediate block organized. I have an archaic copy of neighborhood info from Mrs Bagshaw (sp?), but am hoping to get it more up to date and possibly even have a block meeting to discuss these concepts in depth. Watch for me to stop by in the near future...

                  The Block Watch/Disaster Preparedness meeting last night was disappointingly anemic, I hope some conversation on here motivates other blocks to get organized and hopefully follow the lead of other neighborhoods like W seattle and Wallingford with their Hubs. These guys are amazingly organized up to and including HAM radio communication. As the son of a retired Police Chief and a HAM operator these concepts interest me very much...

                  --- In montlakeforum@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Fleishman <glenn@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > On 11/1/10 at 7:32 AM, Scott Hill <sdhdain@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > >What we need today is heightened awareness and the threads on
                  > >this forum are a sign that we are all looking out for one
                  > >another. This will allow us all to feel more comfortable in
                  > >Montlake with time.
                  >
                  > I wanted to thank everyone for sharing information about their
                  > burglaries and the strange solicitations as it makes my wife and
                  > I feel like we have a better sense of what's going on in the
                  > neighborhood. Montlake has always been a relatively safe
                  > neighborhood, with spates of burglaries and car prowls, but this
                  > latest batch has made us quite alert.
                  >
                  > This is better than neighborhood watch in terms of immediacy!
                  > --
                  > Glenn Fleishman . seattle . washington
                  > reporter . columnist . erstwhile programmer
                  > the seattle times . the economist . tidbits . macworld
                  > ebooks on networking, security . takecontrolbooks.com
                  > email sent to me will not be quoted unless you allow me
                  > email sent from me is intended to be private unless noted otherwise
                  >


                • Glenn Fleishman
                  ... The other issue might be to coordinate parking plans. Neighbors all around seem to be petitioning the SDOT to add residential parking zones, which means
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 17, 2010
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On 11/17/10 at 12:50 PM, joanmachlis@... (Joan Machlis) wrote:

                    >I'd like to try to organize the blocks around us--Calhoun
                    >between 19th and possibly 24. Would it be useful to have a
                    >meeting with the people who want to take this on after last
                    >evening's meeting? That way we could compare maps, strategies,
                    >etc. I really enjoyed the meeting and thank those responsible
                    >for pulling it together. Joan Machlis

                    The other issue might be to coordinate parking plans. Neighbors
                    all around seem to be petitioning the SDOT to add residential
                    parking zones, which means that adjacent blocks will suddenly do
                    the same, and we'll soon all be paying yearly fees to the SDOT
                    to park in front of our houses. Yes, I know the parking
                    situation is terrible in places, but I'd rather avoid another
                    yearly fee and have to make sure all my friends, contractors,
                    etc., have parking passes (and return them) if they visit during
                    the weekday.

                    Further, Montlake Elementary is increasingly in trouble with
                    parking because the additional RPZs mean teachers and staff have
                    fewer places to park. When I walk around the RPZs during the day
                    north of Montlake Elementary, there are plenty of open spaces
                    within a couple of blocks. Teachers and staff would not be
                    taking up neighbors' spaces there, and are typically gone by 4
                    to 5 pm, in any case.

                    I have been in regular communication with Tom Rasmussen's office
                    about the Montlake Elementary parking issue, but pressing budget
                    and other concerns obviously take priority. Still, I'm hoping we
                    don't cause such distress to staff that we lose teachers and
                    other people who simply can't cope with getting parking tickets
                    or spending 45 minutes parking every morning for a neighborhood
                    with plenty of empty spaces during the day in restricted areas.
                    --
                    Glenn Fleishman . seattle . washington . tweets @glennf
                    freelance . the economist . seattle times . tidbits . macworld mag

                    your replies are routinely kept private unless you tell me otherwise
                    this email was not intended for someone else to read unless noted
                  • Glenn Fleishman
                    ... The other issue might be to coordinate parking plans. Neighbors all around seem to be petitioning the SDOT to add residential parking zones, which means
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 17, 2010
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On 11/17/10 at 12:50 PM, joanmachlis@... (Joan Machlis) wrote:

                      >I'd like to try to organize the blocks around us--Calhoun
                      >between 19th and possibly 24. Would it be useful to have a
                      >meeting with the people who want to take this on after last
                      >evening's meeting? That way we could compare maps, strategies,
                      >etc. I really enjoyed the meeting and thank those responsible
                      >for pulling it together. Joan Machlis

                      The other issue might be to coordinate parking plans. Neighbors
                      all around seem to be petitioning the SDOT to add residential
                      parking zones, which means that adjacent blocks will suddenly do
                      the same, and we'll soon all be paying yearly fees to the SDOT
                      to park in front of our houses. Yes, I know the parking
                      situation is terrible in places, but I'd rather avoid another
                      yearly fee and have to make sure all my friends, contractors,
                      etc., have parking passes (and return them) if they visit during
                      the weekday.

                      Further, Montlake Elementary is increasingly in trouble with
                      parking because the additional RPZs mean teachers and staff have
                      fewer places to park. When I walk around the RPZs during the day
                      north of Montlake Elementary, there are plenty of open spaces
                      within a couple of blocks. Teachers and staff would not be
                      taking up neighbors' spaces there, and are typically gone by 4
                      to 5 pm, in any case.

                      I have been in regular communication with Tom Rasmussen's office
                      about the Montlake Elementary parking issue, but pressing budget
                      and other concerns obviously take priority. Still, I'm hoping we
                      don't cause such distress to staff that we lose teachers and
                      other people who simply can't cope with getting parking tickets
                      or spending 45 minutes parking every morning for a neighborhood
                      with plenty of empty spaces during the day in restricted areas.
                      --
                      Glenn Fleishman . seattle . washington . tweets @glennf
                      freelance . the economist . seattle times . tidbits . macworld mag

                      your replies are routinely kept private unless you tell me otherwise
                      this email was not intended for someone else to read unless noted
                    • Paul and Beth Gibson
                      An idea: I live in Montlake. When I worked at TT Minor, the parking was so odious that I contacted the near-by synagogue and paid them for a park-time
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 22, 2010
                      • 0 Attachment
                        An idea:  I live in Montlake.  When I worked at TT Minor, the parking was so odious that I contacted the near-by synagogue and paid them for a park-time parking place.  Maybe the teachers can pay the Greek church for a weekday parking place.
                         
                        Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:03 PM
                        Subject: Re: [Montlake] Block organizing
                         
                         

                        On 11/17/10 at 12:50 PM, mailto:joanmachlis%40gmail.com (Joan Machlis) wrote:

                        >I'd like to try to organize the blocks around
                        us--Calhoun
                        >between 19th and possibly 24. Would it be useful to have a
                        >meeting with the people who want to take this on after last
                        >evening's meeting? That way we could compare maps, strategies,
                        >etc. I really enjoyed the meeting and thank those responsible
                        >for pulling it together. Joan Machlis

                        The other issue might be to coordinate parking plans. Neighbors
                        all around seem to be petitioning the SDOT to add residential
                        parking zones, which means that adjacent blocks will suddenly do
                        the same, and we'll soon all be paying yearly fees to the SDOT
                        to park in front of our houses. Yes, I know the parking
                        situation is terrible in places, but I'd rather avoid another
                        yearly fee and have to make sure all my friends, contractors,
                        etc., have parking passes (and return them) if they visit during
                        the weekday.

                        Further, Montlake Elementary is increasingly in trouble with
                        parking because the additional RPZs mean teachers and staff have
                        fewer places to park. When I walk around the RPZs during the day
                        north of Montlake Elementary, there are plenty of open spaces
                        within a couple of blocks. Teachers and staff would not be
                        taking up neighbors' spaces there, and are typically gone by 4
                        to 5 pm, in any case.

                        I have been in regular communication with Tom Rasmussen's office
                        about the Montlake Elementary parking issue, but pressing budget
                        and other concerns obviously take priority. Still, I'm hoping we
                        don't cause such distress to staff that we lose teachers and
                        other people who simply can't cope with getting parking tickets
                        or spending 45 minutes parking every morning for a neighborhood
                        with plenty of empty spaces during the day in restricted areas.
                        --
                        Glenn Fleishman . seattle . washington . tweets @glennf
                        freelance . the economist . seattle times . tidbits . macworld mag

                        your replies are routinely kept private unless you tell me otherwise
                        this email was not intended for someone else to read unless noted

                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.