Fw: Responding to your workflow message (Intranet Quorum IMA00298856)

  • Kari Olson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2008
       ?letterdate ?
      Progress report on intersection of 24th & Boyer brought about by witnessing a wheelchair bound individual crossing from the northeast corner of 24th & Boyer - to the southeast corner. This person could not get their wheelchair up over the curb (from Boyer street side) and HAD TO WAIT IN THE STREET for light to change before crossing 24th. Ironically once across 24th they again encountered an inaccessable curb and had to skirt around the curb (on Boyer street) before finding a low spot in which to manuver their wheelchair up onto the sidewalk...
      The other day I waited to cross 24th Avenue at the SW corner of Boyer. While I was halfway into the cross walk (a driver barrelling down 24th) realized they had better stop for the red light. Little consolation was the fact this person DID NOT SEE ME in the crosswalk!!! Then stopped 3/4 of the way into crosswalk so I HAD TO WALK AROUND THEIR VEHICLE! How many of YOU have experienced this too???
      So we hope these improvements SDOT places at 24th & Boyer helps. SDOT would appreciate hearing from more neighbors about concerns and suggestions to help SDOT and public-at-large manage public safety more efficently.
      Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 4:35 PM
      Subject: Responding to your workflow message (Intranet Quorum IMA00298856)

      Thank you for taking the time to write to the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) with your concerns for pedestrian safety at 24th Avenue East and East Boyer Street. The city of Seattle values your input as we strive to make our city the most walkable city in the nation.

      The intersection of East Boyer and 24th is a busy intersection, but one that does have a full traffic signal with marked crosswalks on all legs. Each corner of the intersection has good sightlines, meaning that pedestrians are not obscured when standing on the corner. There is some clutter on the NW corner due to a utility pole, but the main sightline to the north is maintained. Bus stops on the south side of the intersection generate pedestrian activity, and Boyer is also part of a signed bicycle route connecting the Lake Washington Loop to Interlaken Park. As you have identified, curb ramps are missing at all corners of the intersection, making it challenging for anyone in a wheelchair to cross the street.

      The SDOT Pedestrian Program is currently in the process of developing criteria on which to prioritize curb ramp requests such as yours. Once the criteria are developed, we will evaluate every corner in the city that is in need of curb ramps. The corners at 24th Avenue East and East Boyer Street will be included in this process. In the meantime, I will also add your request to our list of curb ramp location requests. If 24th and Boyer is identified as a high-priority location, we will work with Seattle City Light to see what it is possible to do to address the clutter on the NW corner of the intersection.

      In the meantime, I will have stop bars installed behind the marked crosswalks on each leg of the intersection. Installation of stop bars behind marked crosswalks is new policy within Seattle as a method to further encourage motorists to stop in advance of marked crosswalks.

      You may also be interested to know that SDOT is developing a Pedestrian Master Plan in hopes of addressing some of the issues that face pedestrians in Seattle. While a draft of the Pedestrian Master Plan has yet to be completed, continued updates, information, and ultimately the final Seattle Pedestrian Master Plan may be viewed from the following website: http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/ped_masterplan.htm.

      Should you have any additional concerns, please contact SDOT's Pedestrian & Bicycle Program. We can be reached by phone at (206) 684-7583 or by email at walkandbike@....

      Virginia Coffman

      Pedestrian & Bicycle Program

      Seattle Department of Transportation

      Please send additional inquiries to the staff indicated in the letter. If you reply directly to this e-mail, please do not change the subject line.