Re: [montezumaphotography] lenses

  • Jack Courtney
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
      Check this out.  Http://www.kenrockwell.com/Nikon/tc.htm  also this from the Thom Hogan site on the review of your lens.

      I'm sure that some are going to be disappointed that Nikon says that all TCs are incompatible with this lens. The primary reason is that you'd be beyond AF working range with almost any teleconverter. Moreover, you're at the optically weakest focal length (300mm--otherwise why do you need a TC?), and you're adding to the vignetting, sharpness, and chromatic aberration issues I find at that setting. I'm sure that some will pop TCs on this lens and pronounce it acceptable. Don't believe those folks. It's not. I often have a hard time working at an acceptable ISO value shooting with the 200-400mm f/4 wide open--a 420mm f/8 or 600mm f/11 is just going to make that problem worse. At some point I'll have a full look at the telephoto decisionmaking process in terms of image optimization, but suffice it to say that anything that gets you beyond f/5.6 and increases the visibility of optical flaws is a de-optimization. If you have to shoot at ISO 1600 and f/8 at effective 420mm with a TC with a D80, you're even at a disadvantage to someone shooting with a D2x in Hi-speed crop mode with a 70-200mm at 200mm and f/2.8 with no teleconverter. (If you doubt that last statement, note that they'll be shooting at ISO 200 while you're at ISO 1600 to get the same shutter speed. Their AF works snappily. Yours may not work at all. While they only have ~7mp and would need to crop some more to get to the 420mm equivalent you're at, they also have nothing interferring with acuity; you do. It all adds up. I'd rather have a highly optimized 7mp even at a shorter focal length than a significantly degraded 10mp.)

      My guess is that a tele converter for your lens will not work.  You need a lens with a f number at least f4 or better yet f 2.8.

      Date: 12/17/09 08:46:51
      Subject: [montezumaphotograp hy] lenses

      Just joined--I am interested in doing more bird photography. Using nikond80 with nikkor 70-300vr. Am considering longer zoom. any suggetions?

      FREE Christmas Animations for your email – by IncrediMail! Click Here!
    • kirkersf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2009
        again--thanks--I did go to the sites you recommended and have decided to research more lenses. may wait to see if nikon will make a 100-500.