The best Montessori teaching job. Ever. Send your resume!

  • montessoribyhand
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      Truly, I don't believe that I'm exaggerating. My time in Mexico has
      been so fulfilling - both personally and professionally. Is anyone
      interested in coming to teach in a 3-6 Montessori classroom in Mexico?
      I will be moving back to the US this summer, and we are in great need
      of someone to take my place. The position begins in August 2008, and
      we would be looking for someone to make a 2-3 year commitment.

      An ideal candidate would be one who is passionate about Montessori,
      excited about learning from and working with children, and
      enthusiastic about to living and learning in the Mexican/indigenous
      culture. AMI or AMS diplomas are a plus, but we would be willing to
      work with a passionate, self-taught Montessorian as well.

      Bring your husband/wife! Bring your babies/children! Learn Spanish,
      and experience Montessori at its purest. Please consider this
      opportunity - there are 19 beautiful children down here who are just
      waiting to change your life, and are hoping that you will come and be
      a positive influence in their lives. :)

      Please don't respond to this posting, but send your resume and a
      letter of interest to my Head of School, Adriana de la Vega at
      delavegazam@.... Below you will find a letter from Adriana,
      giving more details about our school.

      Saludos y abrazos desde Mexico,
      Meg McElwee

      Dear Montessori Guides,

      I am a self-taught Montessorian, having come in contact with the
      philosophy when my own children were young â€" about six years ago. I
      was fortunate to have as my mentors some amazing, AMI-trained guides
      who have much life and teaching experience. My contact with Montessori
      philosophy has been a life-changing experience, both as a mother and a
      guide. When my own children were young, I opened a Montessori
      Children’s House to provide for their education and also to provide a
      wonderful educational alternative to neighborhood and indigenous
      Tarahumara children.

      The project started off small, with just me and my assistant and 12
      children. After two years, I was able to find an AMI-trained guide to
      come down and help me out. Meg has been here for three years, and will
      be moving back to the United States with her husband after this next
      school year. We are looking for someone to fill this position.

      We now have 19 children, a number of whom are indigenous, and the
      majority of whom are neighborhood children with little economic
      resources. The families pay a symbolic amount for their children to
      attend, according to their income. On average, a family pays about 50
      pesos a month, or less than 5 US dollars, for their child to attend. I
      find funding for the school through donations from individuals and
      family friends in Mexico City.

      The school itself is equipped with (almost) all of the requisite
      materials in the AMI Children’s House curriculum. My husband, Juan
      Daniel, is a carpenter, so we are fortunate to count on handmade
      tables, chairs, shelving, red rods, number rods, sandpaper letters and
      numbers, etc. Also, every Tuesday afternoon is dedicated to material
      making for the school. Meg, Gaby (the assistant) and I spend several
      hours making materials such as 3-part cards, definition stages work,
      and the like. We pride ourselves in maintaining an environment that
      rivals any other AMI-recognized school.

      The school year in Mexico begins in the middle of August and
      (typically) ends in the first week of July. This sounds like a short
      summer, but when you factor in the fact that the school days here are
      only from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., that makes a big difference. All of the
      children, even in elementary and secondary school, return home to eat
      lunch (the main meal) with their families.

      The pay for this position allows you to live a comfortable life here
      in Mexico. We will offer a month’s pay on arrival to help defray the
      costs of relocating, and we will pay for your work visa and help you
      through this process.

      In addition to providing a supportive work environment, I am happy to
      say that we have close contact with some of the most renowned names in
      the Mexican Montessori world. Olga Dantus and Marta Graciela, two
      AMI-trained Montessorians, come to our school once or twice a year to
      observe, offer their help, and work with us in various capacities.
      This is a wonderful, personal interaction, and we feel blessed to have
      such a connection and support network.

      Meg, my current classroom guide, opted to speak Spanish full-time with
      the children. This is a decision I like to leave with the guide. In
      any case, for the first year, I will be supporting the guide
      (especially if they are not yet fluent in Spanish) in the classroom,
      providing the language curriculum to the children. Even if you are not
      now comfortable in Spanish, no worries. You will learn quickly!

      Pictures of our children and the school:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/montessoribyhand/collections/72157602038740826/

      I hope you will consider dedicating 2 or 3 years of your life to the
      children of our little town. We would love to have you!

      Warmly,
      Adriana de la Vega
      delavegazam@...