FW: Harborview Site Council Meeting for school within a school committee

  • Juneau Montessori School
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2008

      From: Juneau's Imagination Station [mailto:imaginationstation@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:43 AM
      To: Chris Trostel; Stephanie Allison; Lupita Alvarez; cory_crossett@...; Matt Dusenberry; Alisaon Talley
      Subject: Harborview Site Council Meeting for school within a school committee

      I attended the Harborview Site Council meeting last night and there were a few things I'd like to pass on. Mostly the issues that touched on Montessori revolved around the use of the turf field. There was a little concern about the perceived lack of supervision on the turf field in the morning. I mentioned that parents are actually watching from cars in an unofficial manner. The council was worried about the liability and would prefer to have a more organized system that would guarantee that there was a parental presence there in the morning. This is a fairly easy issue to ease over, and I would be happy to look for parent volunteers to stand in the turf field from 7:30-7:45am if this committee gives me the ok. The other issue, that was mostly important to just one site council member, was the "fairness" of Montessori "getting" to use the turf field when the rest of Harborview is not. I'm not sure how much of an issue this will turn out to be, but probably is best left alone for now. It may eventually need to be mentioned that the use of the turf field is a necessity not a privilage for the Montessori children.  Mark Choat is going to ask the School Board for some emergency funds to pay for extra help on the playground (there have been some safety issues) and possibly to pay for a school district employee to be present at the busses at the beginning and end of the day. He mentioned that it might be possible to have that person be available for the Montessori busses as well. However, he felt it might be a bit of a long shot.

      I think that is important for a Montessori representative to be present at the Harborview Site Council meetings to answer questions and listen for important information. I am not able to be that person, I would be happy to help find a replacement.

      Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or want further information.   Please forward this message to those members who I missed.

      Thank you,

      Alicia Smith