SCHOOL DISTRICT LOTTERY FOR MONTESSORI PROGRAM - Work Session tomorrow 8 to 10 am.

  • Juneau Montessori School
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2010

      Dear Parents:

      This is a reminder for tomorrows work session on the School District Lottery process to enter the Montessori Borealis program.

      The lottery affects JMS families when their children are ready to enter the elementary program.

      Historically, the majority of JMS applicants have entered the program, even if it is later in the year (November); however, it is a painful process for JMS families who desire a Montessori Education for their child not to be guaranteed access to this program; and it’s sad for teachers to see Montessori children left out.

      Make your voice heard. Tomorrow you have a rare opportunity!
      Do you have questions about how and why the lottery operates? Do you have concerns about how the lottery works? Come to a meeting tomorrow morning in the adolescent classroom at the Marie Drake building, upstairs. From 8-10 am there will be a work session with the Montessori Borealis Site Council and our assistant superintendent Laury Scandling. Bring your concerns – but also good and productive ideas for problem solving. Please look through the lottery procedures prior to the meeting. A condensed version and the entire procedures can be read at: http://jsd.k12.ak.us/schools/options_programs

      I know that some of you have attended previous meetings and it can be frustrating when things do not go the way we want, but we have to continue working with district officials and school board to help them understand our children’s and families’ needs and even the programs’ needs; if they want the Montessori program to be a successful district program.

      Please consider joining us. I’ll bring coffee and munchies.

      Lupita

      WORK SESSION – THE “DREADFUL” LOTTERY

      8 TO 10 AM

      MARIE DRAKE BUILDING (UPSTAIRS)