Biting child

  • jenniemunster
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2012
      Hi. I have a bitter on me. She is almost 15 months and has bitten two kids in the past six months. Before this she would bite me while nursing and would bite mom and dad. Any advise would be appreciated. I haven't really known what to do and usually remove her from the situation and say, "no biting."

      Thanks.
    • Kim Johnson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2012
        With adam (who is 16 months), we have never responded to a bite. We act like nothing happened. We have always ignored bites ( so they get neither good or bad responses). The most I might do is remove what ever he is biting. If he bites me while nursing, I roll over. He he bites while playing, I might nonchalantly walk away.

        I also try to figure out why he is biting and give him many appropriate things to bite when he seems to be in a biting mood. If he is butting hard stuff, I might give him a carrot that is to large for him bit into pieces or metal spoons. If he goes for papery stuff, he get rice cakes and nori(dried seaweed).

        I find the best response to a bite is no response. A lot of kids will immediately look at the person they bite either as they are biting or right after they release to determine what type of response they got. No response is boring. Be wary if you try to ignore the bite and your child is accustomed to biting, most likely he will try to bite harder to get a previous response.

        We also praise kisses a lot. When adam leans down to bite, I might say " ohh, kisses" and usually he will change to leaving a wet kiss instead. Then we clap, and I give him kisses. I have done the same thing when he looks like he might be experimenting to bite someone else.

        This works great for us. One of the grandparents plays a biting game, and makes an exaggerated "ouch", then tickles and cuddles with Adam. He always come home wanting to play the game with us. It only takes about two nips with no response for him not to try anymore. Now if only I get the grandparent not to play the game.

        Good luck,
        Kim and Adam

        Sent from my iPhone