Re: OT-were strongly considering move to monterey from NYC- need advice

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2013
      Hi there!

      I'm a SAHM mom of a 12-year old girl that is homeschooled and a newborn little girl. :D I have my hands full, that's for sure, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

      My husband and I are both born and raised in Monterey and have no intention of moving. We love it here. The weather is mild (55-65 is the usual temp year round), with a few heat waves and cold snaps every now and then. If you dress in layers, you'll be fine.

      I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

      1. For 2+ year olds, we have Dennis the Menace Park which is open from 10am to sunset, 7 days per week.
      -My Museum in downtown Monterey that is a $7 entry fee. http://www.mymuseum.org/
      -Black light mini golf on Cannery Row. Haven't been here myself but I've heard that it's a lot of fun for kids and adults. http://www.oceans18minigolf.net/
      -Monterey Bay Aquarium. I recommend getting a year family pass for $195. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/ It's tax deductible and really does pay for itself after a few times going. It's normally $35 for adults to enter and my daughter finds something new and awesome every time we go. For a tween, that's really saying a lot.

      2. My sister in law sends her 4 year old to preschool for a few hours a day to get the social interaction that's so important at this age. But if you're a SAHM, there are so many playdate groups that you can get in touch with. I don't participate myself since I have so many friends with kids that are close to my daughter's age. I can do a little research if you want some help in that department.

      3. Being a SAHM with a newborn (5 weeks), I'm not very active right now. But we love going to Farmer's Market in downtown Monterey every Tuesday, going to the park, going for walks on the rec trail/bike path, fishing off of the municipal wharf, haven't been to SF in a long time, but Santa Cruz is awesome too.

      If you decide to make the move to Monterey, I'll be happy to help you find some more things to do.