Welcome to Monterey Bay API's yahoo group!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2011
      Welcome to Monterey Bay API's yahoo group!

      A little MBAPI history:

      I have been hosting the AP playgroup on Friday afternoons (12:30 to 2:30) for about a year and a half. Many of you have met me at one of our local parks. We rotate the location of the playgroup every three months. We'll be at Ocean View Park until the end of March. We don't meet on rainy days.

      Last summer I applied for leadership with Attachment Parenting International, chose the name Monterey Bay API in the hopes of growing around the bay, and started having monthly support and discussion meetings. We've settled on a regular meeting time of 2 to 4pm on the second Saturday of each month. For now we're meeting in the toddler area of Frederick Street Park. If it's raining, I'll probably host the meeting at my house.

      We have a monthly e-newsletter, and now, we're getting all interactive with this yahoo group! I hope that you will use this group to ask questions, share your experiences, make suggestions of what you'd like for the support group and, above all, connect with other families.

      API is an international non-profit organization almost entirely run by mothers and fathers who have found Attachment Parenting to be helpful to them in their family lives. So much so, that they have volunteered to lead local support groups and some, in addition, have volunteered to help run the central organization. Through their experiences running local support groups, trying to support the parents who are already practicing AP, and also helping to educate and welcome parents who are unfamiliar with AP, the parents who volunteer for API, along with the organization's founders, Barbara Nicholson and Lysa Parker (former La Leche League leaders) have distilled the most attachment promoting parenting practices and described them in API's Eight Principles of Parenting.

      These are as follows:
      1. Prepare for Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting
      2. Feed with Love and Respect
      3. Respond with Sensitivity
      4. Use Nurturing Touch
      5. Ensure Safe Sleep, Physically and Emotionally
      6. Provide Consistent and Loving Care
      7. Practice Positive Discipline
      8. Strive for Balance in Individual and Family Life

      You can go to API's web site: http://www.attachmentparenting.org to read the descriptions.

      In order to be a group in which families who make differing choices on non-attachment related issues, API asks that you strive to limit your discussions on this list to topics that fall, at least loosely, under the 8 Principles. API asks that topics that would fall under the larger term "Natural Family Living", though beneficial and important in their own right, (i.e. vegetarianism, diapering choices) not be discussed. Or at the least, contain OT in their subject line, to denote that they are "off topic," and anyone not making these choices should nevertheless feel welcomed into the group.

      There is a yahoo group in town: santacruzmommy@yahoogroups.com that is, although not AP specific, quite AP friendly. I am active on that group. I find it to be quite helpful, and I recommend that people post to that group with their "off topic" questions.

      If you don't know if a certain subject is OT or if you want to talk about the policy in general, I am more than happy to discuss it in whatever medium you choose.

      I will post an official set of guidelines soon, and periodically after that to remind us all of the ways we can make this a safe, pleasant and helpful yahoo group for everyone.

      Thanks for joining!
      Tina McRorie
      MBAPI Leader