OT-were strongly considering move to monterey from NYC- need advice

  • adelerocyte
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
      Hi ladies,

      I hope you don't mind my off topic question. I'm currently an NYC mom to a 26 month old boy, follow attachment parenting practices and am a busy SAHM. My husband was offered a very interesting job in Monterey and we are strongly considering leaving NYC after 10 years to move to CA. What's making the decision hard for me is I'm concerned about being isolated/bored because I'm used to city living and going to many mommy and me classes here and have made a group of SAHM friends that we see frequently just by walking a few blocks to the park or each others apartments.

      1. I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to share what classes/activities are available in the Monterey/Carmel area for 2+ year olds.

      2. Do parents choose to send kids to preschool (not daycare) a few hours a week at that age and if so could you give me some suggestions of good ones to check and cost. I couldn't find any websites with cost. It would be a big pay cut for us so were also trying to estimate our costs. If we stayed my son is sighed up to start preschool in the fall 7 hrs a week. I think it's a little early to start but the NYC peer pressure got to us and we got scared that if we didn't enroll him he might fall behind. Plus he LOVES socializing so I think he would really like it if it was just a few hours. And here you have to apply a year in advance so how was I suppose to predict a year in advance if he would be ready. But that's a whole other point. I hope that's not the case there. :)

      3. Finally if you're a SAHM could you share how you spend your weeks? More outdoor outings? Time at home? Play dates with other SAHM? Do you ever take day trips to San Francisco? Anything at all would be really helpful.

      Thank you and I'm sorry this is so off topic. But the API group here has been so amazingly helpful on so many topics I thought I would reach out to your group as well.

      Sincerely,
      Adele (mom to 26 month old Jack)
    • Salal Moon Rinaldo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2013
        Hello Adele,

        I don't think anyone has responded yet so I'll chime in. Unfortunately I can't speak much for the Monterey/Carmel area because I'm in Santa Cruz, about 45 min north of Monterey.

        We have a membership at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/), a spectacular place that could certainly be one regular destination for you if you move to the area. Of course the Monterey Bay, from the Monterey Peninsula up through Santa Cruz, is an enormous, gorgeous National Marine Sanctuary (http://montereybay.noaa.gov/).

        There's a lot to do at our very varied beaches as well as inland in our beautiful hikeable, bikeable, walkable hills (especially if you have a BOB stroller!).

        We've been going to Wilder Ranch State Park a lot lately bc that's right near us (http://www.yelp.com/biz/wilder-ranch-state-park-santa-cruz). Maybe worth a couple of trips up to Santa Cruz, which you'll probably want to do anyway. Yesterday our 26 mo old son was thrilled by the big tractor in the farm field, the lawn mower (which the nice Ranger Alex let him sit on), the magnificent draft horses, goats, cows, chickens, old barns, and best climbing tree I've ever seen, a huge bald cypress.

        Santa Cruz also has a famous Boardwalk amusement park (http://www.beachboardwalk.com/). We haven't taken our toddler there yet bc we prefer the more natural settings, but I'm sure he'll like it later. We have, however, taken him to the adjacent Wharf, where you can see and hear barking sea lions up close.

        San Francisco is about 2 hrs from there. More a mommy-daddy getaway destination, I'd say, but having it that close (bout 1 1/2 from us) really does make me feel less isolated. I grew up in LA and like an urban experience now and then!

        There are a lot of mom's groups and even yoga classes for moms and toddlers here in Santa Cruz. I'm sorry I don't know more about Monterey County. Hopefully someone there will respond soon.

        Best wishes!
        Moon
      • Jeana Sward
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2013
          Hello,
          We have lived in Monterey for 2 years, we are military and have lived many places (Japan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Chicago, Germany and here) It is an interesting place and differnet from any of the places we have lived previous. It is a tourist town esp during the summer months. There are a few good AP style groups in the area. Parents Place is a "school" type place for moms that has classes and group meetings. There is a local Holistic Moms Network and API none of the groups are very big although the people are great! The weather is really different it is essentially the same all year round 55-65 degrees, there are 2 weeks of "summer" in the fall. It NEVER rains and it often foggy in the morning although the sun almost always appears. The people here are a bit different, a lot of military and retired wealthy people.
          Overall a gorgeous area with beautiful views! GL

          Jeana Sward

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2013
            Hi there!

            I'm a SAHM mom of a 12-year old girl that is homeschooled and a newborn little girl. :D I have my hands full, that's for sure, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

            My husband and I are both born and raised in Monterey and have no intention of moving. We love it here. The weather is mild (55-65 is the usual temp year round), with a few heat waves and cold snaps every now and then. If you dress in layers, you'll be fine.

            I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

            1. For 2+ year olds, we have Dennis the Menace Park which is open from 10am to sunset, 7 days per week.
            -My Museum in downtown Monterey that is a $7 entry fee. http://www.mymuseum.org/
            -Black light mini golf on Cannery Row. Haven't been here myself but I've heard that it's a lot of fun for kids and adults. http://www.oceans18minigolf.net/
            -Monterey Bay Aquarium. I recommend getting a year family pass for $195. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/ It's tax deductible and really does pay for itself after a few times going. It's normally $35 for adults to enter and my daughter finds something new and awesome every time we go. For a tween, that's really saying a lot.

            2. My sister in law sends her 4 year old to preschool for a few hours a day to get the social interaction that's so important at this age. But if you're a SAHM, there are so many playdate groups that you can get in touch with. I don't participate myself since I have so many friends with kids that are close to my daughter's age. I can do a little research if you want some help in that department.

            3. Being a SAHM with a newborn (5 weeks), I'm not very active right now. But we love going to Farmer's Market in downtown Monterey every Tuesday, going to the park, going for walks on the rec trail/bike path, fishing off of the municipal wharf, haven't been to SF in a long time, but Santa Cruz is awesome too.

            If you decide to make the move to Monterey, I'll be happy to help you find some more things to do.

            Regards,
            Jennifer