Re: Help finding the right carrier.

  • Kathryn Berlin
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2013
      Hi Jennifer,
      Where are you located? There is a Babywearing International of the Bay Area group with a chapter in the South Bay. They have monthly meetings where you could try a bunch of different carriers. I have several different kinds as well, and I am in Boulder Creek if you would like to meet up. A Quick rundown- mobys are great for newborns. After about 15 lbs or so, you will need to move on to a different type of carrier. For someone who really likes a moby wrap, I would recommend a woven wrap. These can be used from birth, and they are similar to a moby except they are not stretchy. You can do all sorts of carries, including back carries. Another option is a soft structured carrier like an Ergo. There are lots of different kinds out there. I really like the Tula brand. It is similar in price to the Ergo, however, you can usually find ergos used. There are also Mei Teis, ring slings, and others, but the two I would say to look into are a woven wrap and a soft structured carrier. Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions. Thebabywearer.com is a great resource, you have to make an account but then you have access to lots of info plus listings for baby carriers. Good luck!

    • Salal Moon Rinaldo
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2013
        I thought I'd add Beco carriers to the discussion. I love our Beco Gemini, thought I do think that there is no one perfect carrier. At one time I had a Snugly, a Mei Hip, a Sleepy Wrap (same as Moby), an Ergo Sport and the Beco. It was nice to have them all to switch off and my husband could have one adjusted to him. I eded up using the Beco the most and I am STILL using it to nurse my 25 month old to sleep sometimes, though I only last about 20 min now that he's 30 lb! When I bought ours a year and a half ago they were Amerincan-made, very similar to Ergo in design and price - the Beco Gemini model allows forward or inward facing positions (which is why we got it). Available in organic. The only reason I'd get an Ergo is to get the "sport" model which is lighter-weight for the summer.
        I bought the beco from The Portable Baby: http://www.theportablebaby.com,
        mslaura@... (you can make an appintment to try them on).

        Best wishes,
        Moon