Help finding the right carrier.

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2013
      I'm interested in babywearing and my friend back east told me you guys could point me in the right direction to find out about trying out different carriers.

      Thank you,
      Jennifer
    • SILVANA PIGA
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2013
        Hello Jennifer,
        when my daughter was a baby I loved carryng her in a moby wrap. It was flexible and easy on my body and very comfy for her as well. It is a little getting used to removing it but
        then I simply learned how and got used to it. There are loads of tutorials on this on youtube...moms sharing  etc. and that's how I really mastered wearing the moby.
        When she was older, like a year and on I switched to the ergo and that was great too. I could be hands free, easy buckle on for the from and back and it was safe for her body as well although
        for me not as comfy as the moby but It was alot more practical once she was older.
        Both these items can be found at 2nd hand stores or on line.
        Best,
        Silvana

        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2013
          Hi Jennifer,

          I have used a moby wrap, an ergo and a maya sling. I have also used fitted slings and baby bjorn- both I am not a fan of.

           I absolutely loved the moby for both my children when they were below 15 lbs. the moby is a little cumbersome to put on; however, for my high need baby is have him instant sleep. With small babies, below 10 lbs, the moby is nice to nurse in. What I really like about the moby is how secure it feels. The baby can face in or out depending on what the baby desires.

          I have a maya ring sling. I love it. I adapts to all ages, and is easy to nurse in. It adapts to hold baby's in three different positions, and using the ring you can tighten to ensure the baby is well fitted (I never felt like with standard slings that my babies were safety secured). My first son only like in one position and wasn't a huge fan when he passed 9 months. My second son loves the sling. He prefers it over the ergo. I love it- quick to put on, easy to take off. It does require more practice. My husband does like it as it takes practice and experience to adjust correctly. That is where YouTube videos are great.

          The ergo is convenient, but not as comfortable as the moby. My husband loves the ergo because it is fool proof and easy to use. My biggest compliant would be that it is hot. I usually have my babies in just thin cloths because you and the infant are likely to sweat. Ergo is nice because it the baby can be on your belly of your back. Your back is awesome when your child starts to grab everything from you. Some moms can nurse in an ergo, some cannot. Young infants cannot go into ergo unless there is an infant liner in the ergo. The ergo requires the infant to have head control as well.

          The difficult part is find a carrier you and your baby like. Some of that depends on your child's age, your child weigh and their personal preferences. I would caution against the bjorn as research has shown it can cause hip problems.

          I would explore YouTube videos. I have heard great reviews for mei tai wraps, but have never used one personally.

          Hope that helps,
          Kim Lindsey

          Sent from my iPhone

          On May 25, 2013, at 6:10 PM, "Jennifer" <rain.weaver@...> wrote:

          I'm interested in babywearing and my friend back east told me you guys could point me in the right direction to find out about trying out different carriers.

          Thank you,
          Jennifer

        • Kathryn Berlin
          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2013
            Hi Jennifer,
            Where are you located? There is a Babywearing International of the Bay Area group with a chapter in the South Bay. They have monthly meetings where you could try a bunch of different carriers. I have several different kinds as well, and I am in Boulder Creek if you would like to meet up. A Quick rundown- mobys are great for newborns. After about 15 lbs or so, you will need to move on to a different type of carrier. For someone who really likes a moby wrap, I would recommend a woven wrap. These can be used from birth, and they are similar to a moby except they are not stretchy. You can do all sorts of carries, including back carries. Another option is a soft structured carrier like an Ergo. There are lots of different kinds out there. I really like the Tula brand. It is similar in price to the Ergo, however, you can usually find ergos used. There are also Mei Teis, ring slings, and others, but the two I would say to look into are a woven wrap and a soft structured carrier. Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions. Thebabywearer.com is a great resource, you have to make an account but then you have access to lots of info plus listings for baby carriers. Good luck!

          • Salal Moon Rinaldo
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2013
              I thought I'd add Beco carriers to the discussion. I love our Beco Gemini, thought I do think that there is no one perfect carrier. At one time I had a Snugly, a Mei Hip, a Sleepy Wrap (same as Moby), an Ergo Sport and the Beco. It was nice to have them all to switch off and my husband could have one adjusted to him. I eded up using the Beco the most and I am STILL using it to nurse my 25 month old to sleep sometimes, though I only last about 20 min now that he's 30 lb! When I bought ours a year and a half ago they were Amerincan-made, very similar to Ergo in design and price - the Beco Gemini model allows forward or inward facing positions (which is why we got it). Available in organic. The only reason I'd get an Ergo is to get the "sport" model which is lighter-weight for the summer.
              I bought the beco from The Portable Baby: http://www.theportablebaby.com,
              mslaura@... (you can make an appintment to try them on).

              Best wishes,
              Moon